Oil pressure

dutchy351

• Member For: 10y 3m 14d

Hi guys

I've recently finished building my engine and had it run up on a test cell. Everything has come up pretty solid but one thing I'm a little concerned about is the oil pressure.

I'm running a ported horsepower junkie oil pump along with their high pressure relief spring

Running 10w40

On cold start we are seeing

100psi @ 1000rpm

At roughly 98-100 degrees we are seeing

32psi @ 1000rpm
52psi@ 2000rpm
80psi@ 4000rpm

Does anyone think these pressures are to high or common for a Barra with these mods to the oil pump?

• Member For: 6y 11m 17d

You could wind it down a bit with their other option spring.  80psi @ 4000rpm is pretty high warm. You should be looking at 80psi around 7-8000 rpm. Those pumps are not going to fail but high oil pressure can cause other issues, its hard to know what's happening though. Give them a call see what they think. 

I dont actually think the have another option spring, this is one of their ported factory housings not one of their billet options.

The only thing I could imagine could be the issue if it is one really is perhaps the pressure relief valve is stuck. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

For making over 35psi of boost you want the higher pressure relief spring. Obviously 1000rwhp will need about 35 to 40psi of boost, depending on the setup.

I've ordered the inconel spring for my billet hp junkie oil pump, as most of the time I run about 35psi of boost.

The spring is rated from 110psi to 160psi of oil pressure, depending where you set it.

All of the above is information provided courtesy of hp junkie. I'm sure they'll be happy to field further enquires.

I'm no expert but the old adage of running 20psi oil pressure at idle and 10psi per 1000rpm, isn't suited for every specific engine combo.

Anywhoodle there's my 2c including gst.

I suppose the one thing I'm trying to find is if it's safe or if I'm gonna have problems with this sort of oil pressure, if it's somewhat common to run this sort of pressure in higher power Barras without issues then I'm comfortable. Unfortunately this is not one of HP junkies full billet pumps just one of their ported stock pumps so as far as I'm aware no other options for springs. 

I've heard of factory pumps splitting however I'm certain this is due to a lack of porting on the housing and relief circuit. I'm also still running VCT and have heard there can be issues with it with high oil pressure also. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

I ported and adjusted the relief on my stock body pump and it worked fine for ages. I also had billet gears, adjustable relief, billet back plate etc.

Can't say with 100% certainty that the oil pump split and broke with my car but it seems like it.

I had a stock spring with 5 or so turns into the relief.

But yeah the pressure will be fine