Ford FGX XR6 N/A Ute axle removal (rear wheel bearings)

hopwood

• Member For: 2y 7m 29d

Hello,

I am at wits end trying to remove the live axle from my Ford FGX XR6 N/A Ute rear diff housing.

I am starting to think I have to remove clips from the diff centre.

I have used the disc method and also a sliding hammer to try and get the axle to shift - to no avail.

Any help would be hugely appreciated even just confirming I need to remove the clips behind the cover plate.

Thanks in Advance
John

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 4d

I've had the the axles out in my FG M86 diff a couple of times. No clips in those. I just checked the factory manual for FG M80, no clips shown there either. Presume you have the retaining plate all undone and flopping around? It does usually take a good shock load to get them out if they've been in there a while.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 2y 7m 29d

I thought I would post the outcome....

I got my local mobile mechanic to give it a go as I had no joy.

He had to apply tension using a portapower and then a slide hammer and it eventually it came out.

Here is a pic of the axle and bearing - It doesnt look like any bearing I have seen for the Ford FG Ute - Pretty heavy duty.

Could you pls tell me what diff it is?  3.45.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

good result :spoton:

yeah, it's likely a standard 3.45 diff. You can check the model# on the diff housing which will tell you the ratio (assuming it's still the same diff-center as when it left the factory).

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 27d

late fg2's & fgx's came out with stronger wheel bearings, not the station wagon diffs of the earlier models. Some diff place's were offering this as a upgrade for people who used to carry weight in their ute's. I think ford copyed it as a running change (after they announced the end of falcon prodution)