Leaking Radiator fluid

R ichard

• Member For: 3y 27d

Hiya’ just Noticed a week or two ago that I’m leaking just below the thermostat,  can I drain the fluid and try undo the bolt and redo it up to see if it stops it leaking? 

also thinking about replacing the thermostat, car has just done 180000km so was planning on cleaning out all the radiator fluid    

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

You can do a flush and repair, but just re-doing it up is unlikely to fix your core problem. You probably need to clean up the connection points and perhaps replace the bit of flexible pipe.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Change your coolant every 20,000km.

You gotta remove the pipe from the thermostat housing, clean the fark out of the pipe and the thermostat housing, replace the green o-ring that seals the pipe to the thermostat housing and reassemble it.

• Like 1

• Member For: 3y 27d
1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

Change your coolant every 20,000km.

You gotta remove the pipe from the thermostat housing, clean the fark out of the pipe and the thermostat housing, replace the green o-ring that seals the pipe to the thermostat housing and reassemble it.

Is that some what easy to do?

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

@R ichard From the workshop manual, clearly shows where the O-ring is located :) 

Pretty sure that step 2 is referring to item 3 in the table. If I'm not mistaken, the O-ring is part of the heater section of the cooling system. 

though, doesn't really matter what its for, it just needs to be replaced periodically. Personally, I do when it starts leaking but preventative maintenance, like what puff recommended, is a better option.

LLAGzD4.png

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

The only reason I suggested to replace the o-ring is because it is leaking. I wouldn't call it a maintenance item and like you, I'd only fix it when it leaks. Even if it is apart for work, the old o-ring is going back in until it leaks.