Fuel rail cleaning question.

• Member For: 14y 6m 4d

So after much frustration with the car running rough intermittently and getting check engine lights and cylinder 5 misfires, then the mechanic saying bad fuel, then saying clogged injectors, I thought stuff it, bought a set of new ID1000's and an OEM FPR to fit to the Falcon.

I checked with Raceworks directly as to the best product to put on the O rings prior to fitment and they stated petroleum jelly:

Hey  David .

When you put it on please only put the tiniest amount ,

Petroleum  jelly is the best  we have found

But I do have one question, if I pull the fuel rail to make sure there's no accumulated gunk - it is an 11 year old car after all and I have no idea what the previous owner did or used prior to my obtaining the car - what is the best way to clean out the fuel rail?

I have an air compressor and an old bath tub I can soak it in if required but I just want to make sure if I blow it out with an air compressor, the force of the air won't do any damage or if I need to soak it in something, what's the best cleaner to use?

A new fuel filter was installed three weeks ago when they looked at the issue, I'm tossing up whether to replace it again when I do the other stuff.  If I still have problems, the next thing is fuel pump and fuel sock, which I'll get them to do, I'll stick with standard until I get the IC, exhaust, CAT and the engine work done - valve springs, CAMS (there was pitting on them the last time Rob looked), oil pump gears, timing chain and guides - once dad's house settles which is still 3 to 6 months away due to my sister playing funny buggers.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Use carby cleaner to clean it, water to wash it out and compressed air to dry it.

If the old injectors are stuck in the rail be gentle removing them, as the injector seats on the rail are fragile and can be bent easily. Bending once or twice is ok but they'll crack off at the rail eventually.

You can check the injector baskets in the old injectors by removing them with a screw. They do block up and are easily replaced.

If you're running 98 and haven't recently switched to E85, I would leave the fuel filter as it'll more than likely be fine.

If you're gonna replace the fuel pump and intend to upgrade in the future, bite the bullet and get a Walbro 255 installed now. You've already bought another stock reg so that tells me you don't intend to run anything bigger.

There's my 2c so take it as you will.

• Thanks 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d
1 hour ago, Ezy2Confuze said:

Thank you Sir,

I always knew K31th was wrong about you 🙂

what did I ever say about that campaigner :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 6m 4d

Fuel pump arrived (https://www.tiperformance.com.au/products/walbro-250lph-fuel-pump-kit-e85-f10000302/) injectors arrived but I've just spent the last hour trying to find the quoted replacement E85 compatible tubing I need to replace the stock ones from the pump, I could swear I bookmarked the quote in question and emailed it to myself but I must be losing it in my old age 🙂

I thought there were two different sizes to use as well.

• Member For: 11y 8m 27d

As said carby cleaner...however I cleaned some injectors myself with carby cleaner and I thought I got most gum out untill.I sprayed some "nulon upper engine" cleaner in them which is a foam and my god the amount of sh*t that it got out of them by just spraying that after the carby cleaner.....I would definally use it again.

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/nulon-uec150

And I was useing nulon pro strength carby cleaner aswell.