Clocking Front Turbo Housing

SydCrazi

• Member For: 13y 5m 8d

Howdy,

You get what you pay for. Lesson learnt. Mechanic has installed turbo with the front housing not aligned. I'm going to loosen the bolts and rotate it to align properly and shoot straight up. See the first pic, Unbelievable 🙄 @Puffwagon or anyone that can advise as per below?

My concern is the centre. Do the oil lines look right? I can't remember if it's meant to sit top dead centre for oil feed? See second pic looking from the back forward.

20211115_113115.jpg

20211115_113148.jpg

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d

More than likely the reason it is like that is because that's where the actuator bracket is lining up on the compressor housing. If this is the case you can't really do much about it unless you have a bracket that fits properly. The wastegate actuator is fixed to the bracket, and the rod from the actuator goes to the flapper arm in the turbine housing, so you can't really move it much without messing up the angle of the actuator rod.

In regard to the core aka chra, it can rotate independently of the turbine housing and the compressor housing once it is loose. Ideally you want the chra to be straight up and down for the oil to drain optimally, but it doesn't matter if it's a bit off.

For all of the farking around to change it, it won't make any difference to the operation of your turbo, it'll just look a bit different if you can line it up better.

@Puffwagon thanks buddy. I think I'll just live with the front housing looking odd, not pointing directly up, if it's not going to make any difference. As for the oil line in, it isn't dead centre, but it is on top, just off a little, seeing as that's not going to be critical, guess it stays too. 

Thanks again, that's a fair few hours saved. 👍👍😎😎

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah no probs mate, it is a fair mission to adjust that sh*t, I just spent a day making a turbo fit a car that it wasn't made for and I wouldn't recommend it.

Hey @Puffwagon OMG am I glad I double checked everything 😳😳😳😳 I was absolutely fall on the floor astounded. Car been running like dog. Double checking actuator, have a look at the picture of what the mechanic did with my new actuator (clip wasn't even attached on the flapper, probably popped off) 😳😳!

I rotated front housing to correct position, used original Garret bracket, popped on new actuator and set rod length, hopefully it's sweet. Couldn't believe the shortcuts taken.

20211116_152635.jpg

20211116_152642.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

you'd hope the mechanic just didn't push the clip on far enough rather than just forgetting to put the clip on the flapper at all... :yikes:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I've seen that shape in a rod before. It looks like it may have been fouling on the engine mount so they bent it to clear. Just make sure it's clearing the mount, or it'll stick shut or open.