Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit?

AlanC

• Member For: 6y 5m 15d

Greetings all. Occasionally my engine light comes on so I bought one of those scan tools so see what I could see. P0340: Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit error comes up. So I assume I'll need to replace the camshaft position sensor - can anyone tell me exactly where it is please? I can't seem to find a decent photo to use as a guide. BF MK11 XR6T. Thanks.... 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

They are separate to the camshaft phasers (which are behind the camshaft sprockets underneath the rocker cover, so it's not these, but in the same area) and they point at 3+1 wheel on the front of the cam sprockets which indicates position to them. You'll find them easy enough.

They also look like this (this one is an exhaust-side one).

image.png

Make sure to buy one that matches the size/shape/position of your faulty one when you diagnose it as the two sides are different.

You might not also have timing problems, so replacing the sensor might not fix the issue completely.

Good luck. :Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d
1 hour ago, k31th said:

they point at 3+1 wheel on the back of the camshaft sprockets

FTFY :nutkick:

They fit in each side of the head closest to the firewall. Remove the electrical plug, undo the bolt with a 7mm socket, spray some crc or whatever on it and have fun pulling it out cos they are usually stuck. Some twisting and gentle levering with a small screwdriver does the trick.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

I knew I'd forgotten a crucial detail... thanks... I'm not sure why I was remembering them being at the front, probably a different engine I was remembering.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Maybe you were thinking of the cam solenoids?

Anyhow it's all good...you know what they say...if you want to find out the answer to your question, post the wrong info on the internet and someone will be sure to correct you!