Limp mode 2003 xr6 turbo

Shazz

• Member For: 2y 5m 13d

Hi there . My 2003 xr6 turbo factory falcon.  Started chugging on me when I was a little low on gas . Third time now. I can't seem to run it under 30 k gas wise. So I had put gas in ( I will add I still had 33 k left. Driving just fine on motorway started chugging and shuttering so I pulled over turned her off and she went sweet again . Came into town and she started doing the same thing again over 100 k in tank still. She went into limp mode literally around the road from home. She sat for a few hours and went fine again . Then did limp mode again. But then this morning she's back to normal. I have had fuel filter replacement the first time this happened as I felt like it was something to do with fuel. As it's only ever when it gets low. I've had so much different advice. I don't even know where to start to be honest . Please help 🆘

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

When you say gas, is it running on LPG? or do you mean gasoline e.g. standard petroleum fuel as-in 91/95/98?

First thing I'd be doing is getting a scan of the OBD port to figure out why it's going into limp mode as it'll surely throw a code or two that can lead you down the path of what is actually going on... but with the symptoms you've described it's hard to pinpoint anything and you did the basic step of replacing the fuel filter as a first step on anything fuel-related.

• Thanks 1

• Member For: 2y 5m 13d

Hi there yes runs on 91. And yes I thought it was all just very weird . Yes I will take her in and get it checked. I just thought 💭 someone on here may know something that may have helped. As I am extremely reluctant to drive it the way it is. Thankyou for your response. Shazz 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

If it doesn't happen under a full tank situation, then just fill it up and take it in to be checked. The mechanic who is scanning it can drain the fuel to replicate it if necessary. (and of course give that fuel back to you haha).