Oil pump gear help.

xr605

• Member For: 2y 7m 28d

Hey all 

so ive got a  2004 manual BA falcon obviously got a few ks on on 240 to be exact - ive owned the car for 4 year now, I have never had any major issues with the engine its always been strong

ive recently purchase, plasmaman intercooler kit, 1000cc injectors, fx-s fuel reg, gtx3584rs turbo, external gate. 460 pump ect chasing a fun street car 310-330rkwk will be with a conservative tune with no crazy torque mid rang it will make power up top to save rods!

I do abit of spirited driving nothing even close to bashing limiter or anything like that, If im giving it some juice its from around 2,500 - 5,500rpm at max (ps where is the limiter on these things)  I just love the sound and boost feeling ha! now if it was an RB I would even be questioning this lol id be on its limiter all day

Ive been told by shops that its imperitive I do oil pump gears - plasmaman say I should do it now, intune motorsports said keep the car off the limiter and ill be fine, then atomic is saying do it at that power level...hangon doesnt it depend on the revs not the power.

intune claim 600 rwkw on stock pump gears.

so im condused at this point, I did read another post on this but didnt answer my next question? can I access the oil pump in a ba by only removing engine or just removing radiator, valve cover ect.

thanks in advanced,

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

Timing cover needs to come off to change the oil pump gears and can be done in the car, as far as I know. You should always do it as insurance as it's harder than you think in a manual to avoid the limiter and yes, it's based on rev limiter with any decent amount of power. I wouldn't want to run anything over 300 in a manual with stock pump gears, personally... 600 is just bananas to think about not upgrading basics like that, so I'm not sure what pingtune were thinking there.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

it's a time consuming job, yeah... good chance you'll need to take the sump off, too (can't remember the specifics), but that's not an overly tough job while it's in the car.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

The oil pickup is under the oil pump and you can't get to it unless the sump is off.

I've pulled the sump off my territory in the driveway for a reseal and all I can say is fark that sh*t. I imagine it wouldn't be as bad in a rwd car, but it is a lot of work to do while the engine is in the car...and unfortunately pulling the motor out won't help cos that's more work again.

Imo it's not only limiter bashing that causes oil pump failures. I think high rpm, aka over 7500rpm, will kill them too.

• Member For: 2y 7m 28d

the car will see a conservative tune, to keep rods happy...do you think the car will be find?  keith said the limiter is hard to avoid hitting, is it hard to avoid

if torque downlow is removed?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

Fair enough, look it is cheap insurance and if you can do it yourself then do it. I would, even if I couldn't be stuffed.

Imo if you have to pay to get it done, it's a lot of money to go into an older style xr6 turbo.