Barra Turbo conversion into W124 89 model Mercedes 300e sedan

• Member For: 2y 6m 5d

Hi All , I  AM  SAM 🤪

New to the ford turbo forums , based in Sydney and in Early stage planning a barra turbo conversion into my classic old Merc ,I have been a jdm turbo person most my life but now moving up to the mighty barra , iam seeking some advice from the warriors who have suffered and survived a conversion into an older car . my car has come out with big v8 and huge v12 overseas hence there shouldnt be to much issue with engine bay space hot or cold side . I will be running it with a small tune so nothing crazy almost stock  .

being new to the Barra world I need assistance with the following ,

* First and foremost who to source a BF or FGmk1 engine /box/loom/ecu/ fuse box etc  from 

*  reliable fab/performance workshops in nsw who are able and willing  to take on this project 

* reliable workshop to wire it all in with added sensors to original cluster etc. 

* I  Will need custom sump , tail shaft and an lsd , bigger fuel pump and psi regulator , cats , exhaust, intercooler and piping , radiator and electric fans set up. 

suspension and brake upgrade I can source bolt on replacements already. 

For those thinking what the hell is this guy doing and why , believe me I have thought the same thing over and over , However 

The car is  sentimental to the family as it was my late fathers vehicle , being a little to slow by modern standards I want to turn this into a great weekend survivor cruiser/sleeper that the family will enjoy for many years to come .  

any advice or assistance is very much appreciated ,

I love a little banter also pls as I am already crying just counting costs although still cheaper than that other brand that we dare not speak of 😅😅.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

I like your plan... but going with this sort of plan without either the donor engine already or planning to pay a workshop to do it (e.g not actually doing the fabrication yourself)... costs are going to be enormous :yikes:

Have you done any other-model engine conversions before?

Hi mate.

Iam definitely handy  with the tools . 

Unfortunately ive been off the seen for many years and have not taken something  of this magnitude.   

Hence iam seeking advice and a point in the right direction.   

I have a good budget for this  and I have patience knowing this will be a long  term project .

that's not  the path am looking to go down . If not  a barra  turbo  then  indeed  a v8  .   

I really want the Barra 4.0  though.  

Even a naturally aspirated one is about double the power I have now with the current m103 set up .   

• Member For: 2y 6m 11d

Well, you're in the right place. I'm sure some people will jump in and give you some advice. Have you called the Barra shops people advise on here? CMS, AutoTech, etc.. They should be able to piont you in the right direction if not actually be able to help you themselves