Pulsar CHRA Spooldown Sound

MHM0227

• Member For: 3y 6m 15d

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a BF XR6T and the turbo bearings were shot so I had a Pulsar GT3582 core fitted this week by a mechanic. The car is stock.

I'm new to these turbos so not sure if this sound is normal once the car is turned off and it spools/shuts down.

Video below of the sound. Sorry about the kids in the background.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

it does sound like the compressor blades are hitting the housing...

you can check that by taking the stuff of the front of the turbo (when it's cooled down, of course) and then grab the nut of the compressor wheel and see how much "play" there is along the shaft axis and to the sides and up/down... if it touches the housing you know it's a dead CHRA or was badly fitted.

Thanks, I had a look this morning and the shaft appears to be ok.

I took a video with the pipes off and it spins ok.

Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid as it set me back $1300 to fix and don't really want to have to take it apart again.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

based on that spin-down, it stopped making the noise as it got down to it's slowest rotation speeds... but it was making it at higher speeds... I'd be thinking that's a balance issue and you should be taking it back to where it got fitted for an appraisal of that sound.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 2y 3m 28d

Hows it going @MHM0227, thought id chime in here, semi related to whats going on with the post, but I had a question! Did you replace the trubo core from your factory turbo with the pulsar drop in? Was it a direct drop in? Im in dire need of a new turbo core as I recently raced a subbie and coming out of 3rd into 4th, the turbo sh*ts the bed and the bearings started rattling its bollocks off, felt like the car was choking. Need a new one asap, as chrissy is around the corner and I dont feel like flexing on the family when I pull up to the christmas lunch in my work van! CIA!😬

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm guessing you are sorted by now. Yes was a direct drop in using the stock turbo housing, no tune required as the car is stock. Pulsar ended up replacing the CHRA and I have since had it fitted and running well.