Wastegate failure and replacement.

Forssan

• Member For: 2y 5m 23d

After changing my turbo core the other day my wastegate has now sh*t itself. I was looking at buying a mamba wastegate kit with different springs. Now I know it has been asked a lot if you can put the 12psi spring in without a tune though as the kit comes with a 7psi spring I was thinking of installing that for now until I can get it tuned in the future. Would this be ok for boosting as it's the stock spring rate or would it be bad for it because the spring is new and firmer? The car has already been tuned to 304rwkw at 15psi on 98 as well.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Do not change the spring as the spring provides you your "minimum" boost threshold and if you make the spring stronger your tune will not be able to compensate. Go with another direct replacement actuator if your tune was already to your satisfaction.

• Member For: 2y 5m 23d

Thanks for the info Keith, so even though they are the same pressure spring, it still wouldnt be wise cause they've been manufactured differently etc? Could a brand new oem replacement also in theory cause problems as my current spring couldve been worn out when I got the tune. My car had 120thousand on it when it was done. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

a new oem replacement is very unlikely to cause a problem, even if it was partially worn when you had the tune done as the tuner would have replaced it or told you about it (at a minimum) when they did the tune.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 11y 8m 6d

Stock spring pressure is actually like 3-4 psi. I did replace my stock tuned ba one with a 5psi turbo smart without issues untill it overboost when I changed to copper spark plugs which is so weired. Back to irridiums and no issues.