risky to push more power out of my turbo bfmk1

bodhi03

• Member For: 2y 5m 27d

hey guys, was just wanting to ask if its risky to push more power out of my 06 bf mk1? im running 16psi on stock turbo w a flapper mod pushing 460 hp, around 217k kms on engine, but have wanting to upgrade the turbo to potentially a pulsar gtx and get an external waste gate. with the upgrades I was aiming for at least the 500 hp mark and maybe 17 or 18 psi to achieve that. is there a risk to any of this as I know mk1 have weaker internals e.g rods. if anyone can give some insight I would appreciate it. cheers :)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Your stock turbo can easily make 500hp (or ~373kW in the measurement we actually use all over this site) at the wheels... you're already well above the safety area of the stock internals weak-rods engine, though with 460hp (~343kW) if you're making that at the wheels, so bottom line is, if you've got the budget for an engine rebuild, send it :P

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 28d

Welcome mate. I suspect if you run e85 and ramp the boost and power on progressively it might be ok. 

The stock turbo is superior to a pulsar or anything else for that matter, up to around 440rwkw. Don't touch it unless it is damaged. 

• Member For: 2y 5m 27d
7 hours ago, k31th said:

you're already well above the safety area of the stock internals weak-rods engine

when u mean well above the safety area, do you mean pushing 343kw is already a risk with a mk1 engine?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

nah, it's cylinder pressure that bends conrods... that pressure barely changes with any sort of cooling protocol unless you use a completely alternate fuel, as the higher the boost you run with the same size turbo, the more pressure/heat is generated in the intake charge.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

E85 does reduce cylinder pressures, but then you compensate by adding extra timing which increases it again, but E85 does run cooler than 98 so it is better (for a bunch of other reasons, too haha).