is this center bearing worn ?

Nathan017

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

this quote from @PhilMeUp

On 07/07/2015 at 12:34 AM, PhilMeUp said:

Hardy Spicer have them - www.hardyspicer.com.au Diff and transmission places will probably also stock them, and can do the entire job if you are unable to.

Your car wil take either a FD-30-5835 or a FD-30-5855, depending on BA/BF1/BFII/FG.

If you remove the tail shaft and take it with you I think they can fit the centre bearing there (for a fee).

It's not particularly difficult - the photos in the two Tornado threads that I posted above will show you what to do.

Before separating the two tail shaft halves (at the CV joint) you need to mark them so that they go back together in the same place (ie balancing).

While you're at it, remove the aluminium crossmember for the transmission mount and check the transmission mount rubber. Photos of that are in one of the Tornado threads.

and the relevant repair posts he mentions for his two tornado utes:

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89684-2006-fpv-tornado-f6-ute-cleanup-resurrection/?do=findComment&comment=1521879

&

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/90489-2007-fpv-tornado-ute-tinkering-setup/?do=findComment&comment=1551154

• Member For: 2y 7m 8d

can any one comment on identifying what size they usually are ? I measured the center bearing itself and it is 175 mm or so to the centre's of the bolts but I can’t distinguish if it’s 30mm or 35’mm thickness without removing the whole shaft itself which I’m trying to avoid 

• Member For: 2y 7m 8d

finally installed the new centre bearing, after a much awaited arrival with the aus post delays I was keen to get rid of my vibrating problems, I also on hand ordered  some diff shims. 

wasn’t that hard of a job swapping it over, the main pain was the messy cv joint , knocking the cog off the spline insert was a nuisance, otherwise tackled it all within 3 hours with just two jack stands in the driveway .

went for a drive and the vibration had calmed down a little, although on the straight and up hills in low rpms it still vibrates . came back installed the 2degree diff shims , pointing it up toward the engine, drove and the sound seamed worse . 

I think I’ll have to try swap them around the other way pointing the diff down toward the engine . 

anyone have any other ideas about this vibration I’m receiving ? 

Edited by Nathan017