Another cam timing issue

norrs

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 27d

Ok so the car started running rough and I got these codes, p1381 and P1386. I've also had p1388 once.

so after much research on here I pulled the rocker cover. The timing chain lines up fine on the cams so it hasn't jumped a tooth. The guides all seem ok, there is a minor chip at the top end of the drivers side one but from what I understand that's normal. However, when the top indicator chain links are all at 12pm on the cams the mark on the crank pulley is a bit out to the left. I'm not sure if this is normal. I'll put a pic below. If I line the crack pulley marker up, the chain marker are still rather close to the centre but they are certainly lined up on the marker on the cam sprocket.

Anyway, I have new coils, I checked the spark plugs and plug gaps. I cleaned the cam solenoids. I checked their Ohms and they seems ok. I checked the power to them and that seemed ok. I've also replaced the sh*ty connector plugs to them as they fell to bits. Anyway I put it all back together and I still have the same issue p1381 and p1386 and it's running rough as hell like it's misfiring.

So my questions:

1. Should the crank pulley mark line up perfectly when the timing chain markers are all at 12 o'clock.

2. How can I check the solenoids further?

3. Any other ideas?

cff3ae671c85e019f1ebb29f76994809.jpg

736e73129c736ef57e74ceaf9348e464.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

are they orange or yellow chain markers? it should look like this at the top with both being yellow.

jvz2qE7.jpg

here's how it should look at the bottom, which is difficult at best to check with the balancer in the way.

image.png

I'm pretty sure the resistance is the only qualitative way of checking the phasers other than logs on a dyno.

• Donating Members

Yeah they look orange but they are the yellow ones. I've seen the orange one because I turned it over like 60 times to double check.

What do you reckon about the crank pulley mark? Is that within range?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

Mate you’re 100% out a tooth on the bottom sprocket 

timing cover off and go for it ! 

Keif … you’re wrong as it has a Keyway which I’ve seen the dowel pin missing or slipping/bent before 

Everything has a “Home” and a mark or pin locator, you can’t actually stuff it up so when it doesn’t line up it’s guaranteed too be out 

Edited by JETURBO

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

of course it has a keyway, if it didn't have a keyway it'd literally slip off the shaft... anyway, I'm happy to be wrong if it has a mark that's relevant.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

The mark on the harmonic balancer lines up with the mark on the timing cover when cyl 1 is at tdc. Also the phaser dots should be at 12 o clock. The mark has to be exactly spot on and the engine has to be wound over clockwise to get the cams lined up accurately. The only way that mark wont line up is if the chain has jumped on the crank sprocket or the balancer has slipped on the rubber dampener.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

No the bolt holds it on the keyway holds it in correct position and locks in in place in the correct 360* otherwise the valley mark on the outside that you can see in OP’s picture wouldn’t have relevance to anything hence his being at the 10 o’clock mark which needs to be 12 o’clock with everything else lined up 

• Donating Members

I've seen some people pull the timing cover off and fix this issue with the engine in car but realistically is this an engine out job?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d
10 minutes ago, norrs said:

is this an engine out job?

No farken way mate in any way shape or form do you pull the engine out to remove the timing cover.