Fuel Purge Solenoid Valve, Vacuum Question

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 4m 4d

So I'm currently converting my BF from NA to turbo and I was removing the intake butterfly along with the excess vacuum lines, canister and such. Also since I will be running a catch can I removed the two breathers from the rocker cover. Then I had the "Genius" Idea to block the hole under the map sensor since its only supplying vacuum to the solenoid and reroute the purge valve solenoids vacuum line to the now spare vacuum nipple next to the Fuel regulator. In my genius moment I snapped the manifold sides nipple off the solenoid and cant get the other side off to replace it.... So my question is. Could I just let it purge to atmosphere and deal with the fuel smell or will it affect anything? I'm happy to answer questions and post pictures/videos if you find my crappy explanation hard to understand. TYIA

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yeah, that's a confusing description at best... definitely take some pics and let us see what you've done...

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Straight to atmo bro 

Carbon canisters only effectively work for around 4 years so it’s doing bugger all now anyways 

• Donating Members

Okay so here is a better explanation. I was removing all that NA Butterfly vacuum crap in the diagram. I have also removed the PVC valve from the top of the engine since I am running a catch can. Now the hole under the map sensor is only supplying vacuum to the circled fuel vapour purge solenoid. So I thought I would move it to the now spare vacuum nipple next to the fuel reg and block off the hole under the map to neaten everything up. I snapped the manifold side of the solenoid and can no longer attach a hose to supply vacuum to said solenoid....

So, do I now unplug the solenoid, remove the line all the way back to the charcoal canister remove that and then run a hose from the fuel tank breather to somewhere towards the back of the car (near the diff breather maybe?) Or do I get a new solenoid and attach it like I was going to?

If I remove everything will it cause any error codes or mess with anything? I have also been told having it purge into the manifold helps with fuel economy.. is that true? I don't want to make my already garbage econ worse 😂. Lastly if I remove it all do I leave the solenoid plugged in or unplug it and let the wire hang? I will be getting this tuned (Ill Most likely bring it to you Jet!) once it is all completed with a built engine... If that helps figuring this out.

Cheers for any help

20210921_170435.jpg

20210921_170453.jpg

20210921_175659.jpg

Capture.PNG

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Block anything on the manifold you aren't going to use, so you don't have a vacuum leak. Disregard any purge stuff and once you get it tuned you can have it switched off in the tune so it doesn't throw a code.

• Donating Members

So remove everything plus the charcoal canister then let it vent to atmo at the rear of the car? Lastly will it decrease fuel economy like I was told? idk much in that area

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 2y 8m 5d
On 24/09/2021 at 2:27 PM, Puffwagon said:

Disregard any purge stuff and once you get it tuned you can have it switched off in the tune so it doesn't throw a code.

Does this mean unplugging the actual solenoid?
My terry throws off code P0443, like the og post, I have vented the fuel purge line to atmo but I get a engine light every-now and then. Its always the same P0443, I usually clear it and go about my business but the engine light coming on does my head in

• Donating Members

Nice necro haha. I don't exactly know man. I would guess just unplugging the solenoid would throw a code all the time. Maybe you have a faulty solenoid? If your car is tuned get the tuner to turn it off and throw it all in the bin. (Weight reduction! Yay!) if not you can try replacing the solenoid.