Strut/Shock Failure

Para045

• Member For: 14y 7m 7d

Hi there, just wondering whether anyone else has had a front strut/shock fail suddenly on an FG XR6T?

I bought my 2012 FG Falcon XR6 Turbo LE with ~18k on her and she's now done ~160k and the LH front strut has started clunking badly and leaking fluid everywhere 😟

A week and a half ago all was good, no clunking/leaks etc and she was handling fine even though I go over some quite bumpy roads to and from work in the Perth hills then on the Friday morning I noticed a hollow metallic clunk/pop sound when going around RH curves 😕 

At first I thought something had come loose under the bonnet or in the bodywork as it sounded quite hollow but had a bit of a look around when I got home and couldn't see anything 🤔

Drove to work over the weekend and it progressively got worse clunking more and more and even started in a straight line yet still didn't seem to be handling too bad 🙁

Last Friday I took it down to the local suspension shop who has done work on the wife's Turbo Terra and did the rear shocks and bushings at the beginning of the year and he confirmed it was the LH strut and showed me pictures of leaking fluid 😲

I have it booked in to get the struts replaced on Friday and have been using the wife's car as much as possible but was just curious as to whether anyone else has had their struts/shocks fail like that 🤔

I've had shocks go bad before on 4WD's/cars & MC's but usually it's a gradual thing and the handling and ride goes away noticeably 😦

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 22d

I had it happen on a rear aftermarket shock. Donking noise suddenly appeared going home from work and one corner would keep bouncing around after a bump.
Was just over 3 yrs old but manufacturer replaced it straight away for me.

• Member For: 2y 6m 20d

can happen, happened to me 3 weeks ago ironically. I purchased some shocks online, was on the motor way and could hear mild vibration - naturally wondering what it was, less then 10 secs after I took the exit and bang! the sound of a baseball bat hitting the side of the car. got out and inspected, the whole strut gave way, the plate that holds the spring on came down and the spring was dangling, car was low on its ass on one corner. pain but these things can have manufacture faults 

Oh well I guess I've done well then compared to both of you guys, getting 160k out of them has been good then 😁

As stated just never had a shock fail like that, usually just a gradual decline  🤔

Had the 2 front struts replaced with 2 x KYB 551135's last Friday by Ape Suspension and all good now ☺️

Didn't realise it but it looks like the struts are adjustable 😎

Leaking Left Front Strut-1.jpeg

Leaking Left Front Strut-2.jpeg

New Front Strut Fitted 17.9.2021-11.jpg

New Front Strut Fitted 17.9.2021-21.jpg

New Front Strut Fitted 17.9.2021-31.jpg