New XRT Brake Discs & Pads

Para045

• Member For: 14y 7m 7d

Hi guys, just wondering what is the best replacement discs for the front of my 2012 FG Falcon XR6 Turbo LE?

I had it in to get 2 new Bridgestone RE003's fitted as the rears were down to the wear bars (1 to the belt 🙄) and they swapped the fronts which are only about 10k old onto the rear and they mentioned the front discs looked a bit worn and had heat spots on the discs and the pads were 80% gone as well ;)

I bought it with ~18k on her and she's now done ~160k and I've noticed a slight vibration at highway speeds from the front end and shudder under hard braking for a few thousand km's now and so figured they were probably due to get skimmed anyway?

Anyway given the shudder and the heat spots I figure I might was well replace the discs entirely rather than piss about skimming them ;)

I'm assuming there are better options than OEM discs, we replaced the rear discs on my wife's 07 Terra Ghia Turbo with RDA brand ones and also used RDA's on my son's 06 Mazda SP23 and they seemed OK 😏

So are there any better options out there short of big $$ for Brembo's? I did read PhilMeUp's thread when he put them on his taxi and obviously then you also need bigger rims as the std 19's apparently wont fit them so even more $$'s 😞

From a quick Google there are RDA/DBA/Bendix and others and there are 322mm & 355mm discs! Will they both fit as I haven't checked what size mine are yet, would the bigger/thicker discs fit and be better?

Also what type of pads does everyone recommend as I know from my motorcycle that some pads are much harder and wear the discs a bit more but offer much better stopping power and last longer 😎

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

RDA for cheap, DBA for quality and more expensive. You can't use bigger discs in terms of width or diameter unless you also change your calipers.

Pads are basically whatever you want. Project Mu is the one that gets spruiked around here a lot for being both high performance and low dust, but hard to get and are green haha

Don't bother with drilled at all, as the benefit doesn't outweigh the risk of cracking. Slotted are definitely worth getting.

Thanks, so DBA are better? It was strange that when I searched for discs to fit my car on both DBA's and Bendix's sites it showed 322 & 355mm discs as being for it although the DBA did call the bigger ones Police Upgrade so I guess they had different calipers 🤔

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Yes, there are different disc sizes depending on which calipers you have on your car as there were brake upgrades as factory options.

Yes, DBA are of a higher quality.

10 hours ago, cat007 said:

Talk to Race Brakes in Sydney. I forget the guys name but he's always give top service and advice and price as well.

Tell him what you use the car for and he'll sort you out. 

Unfortunately I'm in Perth so a bit far to drive even if I wanted to go and get Covid 🤮 Will likely do the job myself as I'm quite handy and my son is an apprentice mechanic so should be able to change them ourselves, mainly just wanted an opinion on the best brand/s & types to get for the T as all my previous vehicles it was OEM only or a copy of such, no real options ;)

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d
5 hours ago, Para045 said:

Unfortunately I'm in Perth so a bit far to drive even if I wanted to go and get Covid 🤮 Will likely do the job myself as I'm quite handy and my son is an apprentice mechanic so should be able to change them ourselves, mainly just wanted an opinion on the best brand/s & types to get for the T as all my previous vehicles it was OEM only or a copy of such, no real options ;)

I'm in New Zealand and still get pads from him....

Heard of a telephone?

• Like 1