Building first Barra

Johnny D

• Member For: 3y 3m 7d

Hey lads I’m planning on building my first Barra in the near future and wanted to get a rough idea what work has to be done to the motor.

I know I need to change all my rods, pistons, bearings, block and head machined ect...

1. I have read that people are running 1200+hp on a fg turbo crank that's been heat-treat and got me thinking if a fg crank would go straight into a ba-bf? Probably a stupid question but I have read there’s a couple differences between the ba-bf and fg. Only reason I ask is cause I can get a hold of a good fg F6 crank and I’m just planning on buying a cheap n/a ba-bf motor to build.

2. I’m looking to get around 7-800 on 98 for the street and around the 1000-1200hp on E85 so would I have to get the head ported and if so would it be cheaper and better to just exchange the head for a ported one?

3. I have been looking at the spool rebuild kit with custom CP forged pistons and spool drag pro I beam rods and going to run 14mm head studs.

I’m a bit confused with all the different options like the all the oversized bearings. is it better to have all the bigger bearings? cause I’ve never built a high hp engine like this, I’ve only ever rebuilt diesels (trucks) and a couple old v8s with my old man when I was a kid.

And with all the piston options I got taught by my old man the higher comp ratio in a N/A the more power and lower comp in boosted applications the more power but with technology nowadays it’s completely different from what I got taught. I know all these questions I’ve asked are simple and stupid questions but as I said I’ve never rebuilt a motor to give it more power.

If yous could help me out with this stuff it would be great, I know I’m more than capable on putting it back together and for it to run like brand new, it’s just all this other sh*t just got me a bit stumped 😂😂

cheers boys 👍🏽

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 8d

It worries me when you say oversize bearings and is it better to have all bigger bearings?

Who is doing the assembly work?

And big difference in 800-1200 hp. A stock motor sometimes handles 800hp. Stock motor will never handle 1200hp.

800hp stock head ok. 1200hp ported head will have some benefits.

Spool gear is ok. Is better options but hey it's cheap.

Why don't you want to buy a built motor from a shop. Empire or similar do some good work and come with "warranty"