intercooler upgrading ? yes / no

Nathan017

• Member For: 2y 7m 15d

spent some time reading the pined posts,

wondering if it is advantageous upgrading the stock cooler to something a little bigger, currently running 12 - 14 psi on around 310kw tuned. Is there any bonus in upgrading this , or is the stock cooler more then sufficient? I don’t plan on doing any more major upgrades just yet as I’m quite satisfied with the power currently, but in saying that iv been replacing a lot of parts so wouldn’t mind a new one in there if it means better flow without causing too much lag 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

If you're only doing power-pulls one or two at a time, the stock one is fine... if you're doing lots of repeated high rev/boost applications in a short space of time, then it's absolutely worth upgrading it.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 2y 6m 9d

After driving how you want to drive it, grab the hot side and cold side pipes (left of IC is hot, right is cold). if the right side is too hot to hold for long, change it.

I reckon you'll notice a difference at 310kw if you upgrade you IC. I'm running 320kw so it'll be about the same power but 16-12 PSI. I can boost a fair bit and that cold side piping never seems too hot to hold but no chance holding onto the hot side for long.

ANTZ Stage 2

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 28d

nathan what mods have you done so far? have you done the cooler? 

I ditched the stock cooler/ pipes at 300 kw. better safe than sorry.

and I dont recommend the ants stuff its pretty thin metal and nasty. sorry . 

Edited by bossmang

• Member For: 2y 6m 9d

yeah for another 300 you can buy the process west stage 2. If I went back, I'd do that. Not like I would be missing 300 bucks right now

Point is, even the antz one is better than stock so still reckon you would see a difference if you upgrade

Consider a tune though because it may make a difference to how you build boost and air temps so if you're already tuned, it could throw things out...

• Member For: 3y 1m 29d

I don't have any data so I'm only going of what my butt dyno was telling me...way back when my FG F6 was making 315rwkw I was running stock intercooler and tbh even when getting into it for a good amount of time I never really noticed a power loss even after repeated pulls.....

The F6 intercooler was slightly larger although general consensus is it's no better then an XR factory cooler.

again I have no data but I've seen the antz cooler in person I deffs feel the process west, plazzy coolers are the better investment 

Edited by TRYME

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d
29 minutes ago, bossmang said:

nathan what mods have you done so far? have you done the cooler? 

I ditched the stock cooler/ pipes at 300 kw. better safe than sorry.

and I dont recommend the ants stuff its pretty thin metal and nasty. sorry . 

how thick does the metal need to be to blow 20psi+ through it... probably not that thick...