Hose came off from under intake manifold

CoreyG

• Member For: 2y 6m 17d

Hi all,

I've had a hose come off from under the intake manifold of my SY Territory turbo.

After a lot of searching, I haven't found what it was connected to, nor can I find any mention of it in the workshop manuals or online.

Does anyone know what is connects to or does?

Cheers

20210911-142153-1.jpg

Thanks mate.

The ID is around 7.5-8mm. The OD is 13mm. The hose definitely didn't have oil in it, as there is no trace of residue.

After cleaning up the hose, I could read "GATES ERS 117 0686 23:54 JK" on it (those are my best guess, as the markers aren't in the best condition). Looking through the gates catalogue, there is no hose with that ID nor any that look like this for the SY Territory.

I just had a thought, could it be the front diff breather tube?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

strangely long for a breather hose, but if it is for air-only; e.g. doesn't have any oil or water or fuel in it, then I'd be guessing at either a breather or a vacuum hose... if it was vacuum you'd know as you'd have idle issues or something so it probably is a breather of some sort... but I don't know the territory that well to be sure of anything... others will probably be able to help more completely.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

It's the front diff breather. Wait until it starts spewing oil out on a long trip!
Have fun refitting it also as it's virtually impossible to reach with hands...
It just sits in the middle of the intake manifold, no fixtures just free floating.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Extra info...
@Puffwagon might be the person to ask as I'm sure he's done it a million times!

I will add that my hose was sawn off about 2" up from the plastic screw in bung on the diff. The mechanic and I used a larger piece of hose with the same ID as the original set just mated them together. It was a farking nightmare to say the least!

Thanks everyone for your help. There was nothing on the diff breather barb, so it seems that bjc was right. I snaked the free end up in between the intake manifold runners.

I managed to get it on by going underneath and reaching through the hole just above the front lower control arm. I could imagine the transmission oil lines to the heat exchanger would make it more difficult, however I have an external cooler, so it wasn't too bad.

Now I just have to replace the the turbo oil drain pipe 🙄