barra sonic testing...

Ammf6

• Member For: 3y 1m

can anyone enlighten me on the factory Barra blocks and why they vary in thickness?

I've had my engine builder come back and say the block I supplied is to thin (2011 fg block 110,000ks) he said its pretty common.

I do have another bf block in my shed but she's done well over 300,000ks ... 

is it worth pulling a block from a wreck with low ks or does the ks even matter is its going to get machined and honed ect?/

cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

just use the BF block, blocks are cheap/plentiful.

probably just a casting process in why some cast well and some don't.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I wouldn't worry too much about it, even under-thickness blocks hold up to most people's power aims haha

if you're going for 1000hp or something extreme like that, then yeah, perhaps care about which block you're starting with.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

It’s a wear process, they aren’t made that way.. They all start life the same but wear is inevitable and Atomic bin 8 out of 10 blocks due to undersize

This block just came from Atomic for us to prepare and new build on and as you can see the numbers are high and obviously supplied for sale after sonic testing for minimum thickness. 

Do it once, Do it right 

sdS5ahl.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

and the only people buying an atomic block are going for high horsepower, so who cares what they recommend for any average end-user?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Because it’s like $1000 for a prepared tested block to know you’re starting correctly…. Bit of a no brainer even for a $8000 slap together base build 🤔

If the foundation isn’t right it’ll crack sooner than later which a few have found out the hard way lately as these second hand blocks get used more than once 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

It's a couple of hundred bucks for a wrecker na engine that will have frig all cylinder wear. May as well start there and save a few bucks, if you're handy on the tools that is ;)

• Member For: 3y 1m

I’m not going stupid with power but want to build it right . Don’t like short cuts . I’ve sourced 2 blocks from the wreckers from na gas motors so fingers crossed ones good. 

so what part actually wears jeturbo?? ? I thought some might not get made as thick / as much internal thickness