What is this noise? Carton on offer

3Katz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 2m 14d

No I haven't found the problem unfortunately. I took it to a tuner and we put a set of chassis ears all over the engine and still couldn't determine exactly where the noise is coming from. We replaced the balancer, tightened the cam chain an extra click and no difference. The engines been pulled down twice and everything measures up fine. I've had a clevo before with noisy forgies and I certainly agree that's what it sounds like but on the clevo the rattle went away once they were up to temp. And they all made noise wheras with this, if it is piston slap it sounds like it is just one piston. And it doesn't go away/lessen when hot. Mate I'd be happy to send you a keg of goon, in fact I'd be happy to pay for your flight to and from Bundy, a motel stay and a rum factory tour for you to come and disgnose this lol.

• Haha 1

• Member For: 2y 2m 23d

Well 3 Katz my tuner has narrow it down to chain, since Atomic tensioner is ratchet even though its Hydraulic its still ratcheting, my noise only last upto 15 20sec very similar to yours but very faint maybe coz I have loud as exhaust. If you want I know bit of pain change the chain tensioner to factory tensioner and  See if the noise still exist.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Even at operating temp mine would slightly rattle unless I gave it a hiding then it would shutup. I put a 71c thermostat in it when I built it and I reckon if I put a 80+c one in, the noise would go away. Dunno if it would cos I never got around to changing it, but that's what I reckon would happen.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

I forgot to mention the Atomic tensioner has been replaced with a factory one already. I have a low temp thermostat in as well - changing it too a higher temp one is a good idea which I'll try. I'm almost at the stage of taking it back to the tunner and just getting into it and seeing what develops. The problem is it's a real nice ute, and sounds like a bucket of sh#t so it's not as enjoyable to drive as it should be. 

• 6 months later...
  • Donating Members

Not yet, it's got everyone stumped. Went back to the dyno and got all the low speed tuning done but have a wastegate issue to sort before getting stuck into it. Going to ignore the noise for now and see if anything develops

• Like 1