What is this noise? Carton on offer

3Katz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 2m 13d

If any of you guys would like to offer your opinion on what this noise could be it would be appreciated. Please read before calling  "hello Rodney" lol. Engine is torn down again at the moment and nothing stands out.

BA block
Stock crank balanced
HP Junkie main girdle
Powerbond balancer
ARP balancer bolt
ARP main studs
ACL main bearings
Scat H beam rods
ACL big end bearings
CP pistons
9:1 compression ratio
BA head
ARP head studs
Cometic head gasket
Pep-pro stainless valves
Pac valve springs
Atomic FG billet cams
Atomic timing chain and guide kit
Atomic crank sprocket
Boundary oil pump gears and backing plate
Yellaterra flex plate
ARP flex plate to crank bolts
ARP flex plate to convertor bolts

GTX3582 19psi

This noise appeared not long after run in, engine was pulled down as far as head off and checking big ends and main caps. Nothing noted but replaced big end bearings just because and reassembled. Noise was still there so pulled the engine out again pistons are removed - little ends good, big end bearings still perfect, all clearances within spec, rings and lands fine. Lifters appear fine. No witness marks on anything. Noise sounds like it's coming from the lower end towards 5 and 6 rather than the head but very hard to tell. All flex plate and t/c bolts tight. Have run engine without convertor installed to isolate trans and noise still there. Any guesses? A carton to whoever gets it, funds transferred via PayPal lol

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

Does the noice increase in rhythm with RPM ? 

Is the noise there when cold ?

Is the noise louder or quieter when hot 

Is the noise always there or does it seem like it might go away for a revolution or two then come back ? 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Run it with the rocker cover off. Have a look first and if nothing jumps out at you, stick your finger on each of the rocker arms. You'll quickly find out if it's in the valve train.

• Donating Members

To answer your questions:

The noise does increase in rhythm with the rpm.

The noise is there when cold however it's quieter, it then reaches its peak volume quite quickly as it warms up. The noise is loud before reaching full operating temperature.

The noise does seem to come and go to a point - if you increase the rpm it becomes harder to hear (gets quieter?) then returns noticeably at idle, especially when the idle flicks with the a/c compressor cutting in/out. I have run with accessory belt off and noise still there. 

No it definitely does not sound good lol.

It's actually stripped down at the moment and I've realised I should have posted this question prior to pulling it out again! It makes such a racquet I thought it would be easily spotted.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Pull the valve springs off the head and check that the valve guide seals are still seated and that the top of a valve guide hasn't broken off. It can break and still run fine albeit with a noise, and you won't see it until it's apart cos the valve stem seal covers it.

• Donating Members

Springs, retainers, valves, guides and seals all good. The lifters were new when engine assembled the first time but might replace them because I'm really scratching for a cause of this noise.

I've heard of (limited) issues with Atomic tensioners, could this sound possibly be related to an issue with the timing gear? Sounds like it's more associated with a particular cylinder to me, whether it be top end or bottom, but I'm happy to consider anything at this stage. 

If no one nails it there's still a carton to whoever is the closest 🍻

• 4 months later...
  • Member For: 2y 2m 22d

Hey 3 katz matey did you end up working out what the problem is? as I got my car back from  tuner after all the work done to it and I have same noise on cold start but is very faint on last 10 to 15 second Max and boom goes away, but note its not as loud as yours though.