Ba xr6 turbo lpg engine swap

Tamas

• Member For: 2y 7m 22d

Hey guys so after owning the car for 2 weeks my worst nightmare has occurred today, the bottom end has let go and is toast from the sound (still runs but sounds terrible and extreme vibration). I’ve read on many forums that an easy replacement/ upgrade is to go with a gas motor and I’ve found a few in my area with low kms. My question is what it takes to change over the parts from the turbo engine onto the bare gas motor and if the upgrades done to the turbo engine are able to be run in the gas one such as, head studs, valve springs, injectors stage 2 crow cams. I’m pretty handy with tools so I’m looking to do this in the garage so any tips on taking motor out and in and just on tarring the engine down advice would be much appreciated.

cherts 

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 4m 12d

Did this at the start of the year check out the discussion and pics here from page 16. 

In terms of gas engine and turbo engine - every thing is a straight swap. Use you turbo and inlet manifolds, turbo sump and use your gas long engine. So you buy your gassy and get head studs + gasket, oil pump gears + backing plate and valve springs. Then gaskets - rocker cover, sump, timing chain, inlet etc. If you are diy at home you will also need some sort of tool to remove the valve springs and a harmonic balance removal tool, service manual for torque specs, engine stand and crane. Dyno tune would be 100% needed if your motor pooped its pants and you might want to consider the idea of running the car on e85.