Ba xr6 turbo terrible fuel consumption

Tamas

• Member For: 2y 7m 21d

Hey guys so I’ve just purchased a 2004 ba xr6 turbo and the seller didn’t give me much info based on what’s done to it stating that the previous owner did all the mods, for this reason I got decent chunk off the price, car came with a blown turbo which I have replaced with a new core, the car has, valve springs, head studs, stage 2 crow cams, custom intercooler and piping, 2300 stall converter, 1000cc injectors, 460 fuel pump, but I’m not sure what tune it has, the car runs great but I’m currently getting 30l/100kms, and that’s on 98, I’m  not sure as to why it is seeing that other people get around 16L/100 with these cars, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

I'd be booking it in asap for a run on a dyno at minimum to get that sort of thing diagnosed, as it's likely to be in the tune... on top of that you'd want to be organising a custom tune to suit the current state of the car.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Member For: 3y 1m 24d

Yea deffs needs to see a dyno and have everything checked over.... if it was tuned many years ago it's probably gonna need some adjustments...

if it was tuned waay back in the early days the knowledge and best practice on how to tune them simply wasn't there... if it drives great now you mite be surprised how much better it is after retune.

may I ask how much you paid for the car? 

Edited by TRYME

8 minutes ago, k31th said:

I'd be booking it in asap for a run on a dyno at minimum to get that sort of thing diagnosed, as it's likely to be in the tune... on top of that you'd want to be organising a custom tune to suit the current state of the car.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Yea that’s what I’ve been looking to get done for sure, would the aftermarket cams have this dramatic effect on the fuel consumption too? Cause the car runs fine just drinks fuel like crazy

Yea understandable, any recommendations on a good tuner for this purpose, I live on the Gold Coast but happy to travel if needed, not after more power just want it to get fine tuned 

8 minutes ago, TRYME said:

Yea deffs needs to see a dyno and have everything checked over.... if it was tuned many years ago it's probably gonna need some adjustments...

if it was tuned waay back in the early days the knowledge and best practice on how to tune them simply wasn't there... if it drives great now you mite be surprised how much better it is after retune.

may I ask how much you paid for the car? 

Car was originally posted for 14k with 150k kms, once I found out the turbo is stuffed I got it down to 12 but than found out it needs few things done for roady so I ended up taking for 10k

• Member For: 3y 1m 24d

Nice! Enjoy!,,, yea aftermarket cams can deffs cause a rise in fuel consumption but 30litres is excessive..... I use to have an LS2 Malloo with a Magnusson 2300 supercharger and decent size cam still wouldn't use 30litres driving around town....

that consumption figure can deffs be improved upon 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

For a tuner, we don't generally recommend them around here as each person and their situation is different and you need to make what choice is comfortable for you.

In that vain, have a read of this thread ->

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/83001-recommended-tuner-workshop-queensland/

Then once you've read about the tuners, call up each one to get the situation between yourself and the tuner clear and go with whichever one suits you the most :)

So I’ve done some searching around the car and noticed that the post cat o2 sensor is missing and there is a bung screwed in it, is it suggested to get one installed when it’s at the tuner or is it fine to put one in and see if that solves the issue, my idea is that the sensor got removed after the car was previously tuned and now it’s totally messed up the ecu