ZF rules for mechanical sympathy

FGeorge

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

generally people who go the 6R80/6HP26 combination rebuild are only in the ridiculous power levels and there's no telling how long those will last as they're generally raced/pushed to their limit anyway... rebuilt 6HP26's with better clutches etc can handle 500rwkw for years.

• Member For: 2y 10m 20d

Great to know with some care I should be able to enjoy 300 until I'm ready for the next big stage.

Yeah no kickdown is a good one. I don't even like doing it on stock power. Feels too much like dropping the clutch in a manual which I don't do every time I want to get on it so why do it in an auto... Would rather the delay of it selecting my gear before injecting more fuel for a kickdown. I wonder if that can be tuned into the zf. I'll ask when my zf gets tuned

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

you can also avoid the worst of a kickdown by getting the throttle past the "detent" position (where it detects you actually want a lower gear), wait for the shift to occur then plant the foot all the way.. you don't have to switch to manual mode and select the right gear then go, although that's the "least stress" on the gearbox method.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 22d

New homes by Nik, in WA,  has a fully built ZF by MT. Its the best possible zf you can get atm. He's running just over 1000hp and drives it like he's stole it. With regular servicing I don't think the box has skipped a beat.

Damien, "LMTD RUN", Final Form on YT, has the same box running 700hp and has no drama.

Malcolm, rowdy_335gt on insta, has the same box too, he was running some impressive numbers through that coyote motor. He treats that box like its indestructible, went for a few rides with him at power cruise. If I did to my box what he does to his, mine would fked by now lol.

These are all 6r80 built boxes, around the 10k mark. MT has built a bunch of these boxes and I don't think any have exploded yet. They are strong boxes. 

Expensive, but strong. There are other stages that cost less than 10k for a zf too, its not the only option. 

I run a measly 310kw through a stock box, I don't treat the box well by any means and I don't have any expectation that the box won't break. Once you go down the road of modifying engines for power you will at some point need to build the box.
I take care where I can with the box though, behave when its cold, if I wanna do something stupid I use the manual shift to avoid any kick-downs that the box seems to love to do in "D".

I've got a PWR heat exchanger on it, though a dedicated trans cooler I dare say is probably better in the long run. 

Also, fk not launching the car lol. That just my 2 cents on the matter. I didn't spend lots of money on the car to baby the thing 🤣

All this being said @Puffwagon had great success with his box up till recently, and that was in a territory! But I suspect he too had the same mindset, that the box will eventually die, its just a matter of time. 😋

• Like 2