ZF rules for mechanical sympathy

FGeorge

• Member For: 2y 10m 24d

I've heard many times that 'how you drive it' will affect how long the zf will last. I can't seem to find anything about what that actually means.

1. Manually select the gear before planting it

2. Throttle it at lower RPM to limit torque

3. Back off throttle to 20% and manually shift before throttling in again

Am I on the right track? Any other maxims to follow?

• Member For: 3y 1m 29d

Your on the right track but in my humble opinion how long your ZF lives depends on how much power your making if your making 400rwkw plus it isn't gonna live years and years unless your the type to literally never get on gate... but who with 400kw drives like that? 

Im fairly good to my car but with 500rwkw it lasted about 25,000kays and now she's rooted and being rebuilt....

• Member For: 2y 10m 24d

Yeah, tune your car to make less power to make the transmission live longer.

My first tune should land around the 300kw mark with the stock gt3576. I'm hoping that with some care I might just be on the lucky side and get to keep my transmission healthy until I'm ready to do the next big round.

Gives me comfort to hear you've managed to hold 500kw for 25 thousand kms. What did you do to look after it?

• Member For: 3y 1m 29d

No launching it off the line and let of the throttle between gear changes (most of the time) 300rwkw you should be fine for a while but remember it's the torque that kills the box and turbo barras make plenty.. if the tuner tunes the box well you should get some good time out of it but keep it in back of your mind it aint gonna last forever (what mechanical object does lol) but budget 8-10k for a good solid build 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

3k is still a rip-off for a recondition to stock. haha 300kw isn't going to torch a stock ZF for a long long time especially if maintenance is performed diligently... the price he's talking about is for a high-level built-for-big-power ZF

• Like 1