How to 6R80-erise my ZF

cat007

• Member For: 5y 7m 15d

Hi all.

I'm in NZ - so unfortunately I don't have access to the plethora of transmission builders you guys talk about and use in Aussie.

I'm looking to get my head around what is required to use the 6R80 input shaft in my ZF.

From what I can tell you can buy 6R80 input shafts and friction/steel kits from the states for 'fairly' cheap.

What else is required for these to 'bolt in'? The shaft spline is different so need to get a matching torque converter as well?

For example:

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/bcr-6r80-stg2up/

What else is required to mate this to my currently stock ZF? If this is even the right route to be taking?

Not looking for a $10k build but would like something that can handle 400-500rwkw without breaking input shafts etc....

Cheers!
Hunt

• Member For: 3y 1m 25d

Im sorry im unaware of the technical details as I havnt really researched exactly what goes into the conversion... but here in Sydney most transmission places want 8-10k for a ZF build and all mention doing it as 6R80 hybrid set up... so to be honest I'm not sure if it's a massive markup charged by the Shops or what but I don't see you being able to do it on the cheap... mind you chances are I'm wrong.... please report back if you make any headway with doing it on abit of a budget