Retarded timing

Frank Castle 85

• Member For: 19y 6m 4d

Wont be the cam caps, wont be the OCVs.

Disable the VCT in ESP and see if that helps. Can the VCT maintain target at all or is it just when the oil is hot?

What oil temps are you seeing?

Does it only stall when hot after a WOT?

Is the engines oiling system still stock or has oil flow to the head been restricted? 

Noise at idle is consistent with a phaser struggling to work, a blocked oil gallery can also cause this. 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

I'm not sure man, my tuner is working it out. They've been really good talking to all the right people to find the problem, no hint of trying to mask it by just locking the timing.

Phasers are being replaced. Oiling is stock, and the right weight oil is being used for the clearances.

Apparently the intake cam is all over the place on idle when it's hot, and it's noisy on idle. Oil galleries should be ok, its had the run in oil changed out already. They've done a very controlled and deliberate run in process, which is good to see.

• Member For: 19y 6m 4d

Its may actually be a phaser then.

If it doesn’t solve the issue then you wont have many options left other then locking the VCT to a fixed position.

I don’t see it as masking the problem, it is what it is.

Modified cars! 

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

No man, it'll get new crow lifters next week. Hopefully it takes care of the noise. It's a bit frustrating when the head was fully rebuilt. Why would you throw 200k km lifters back in? My tuner is charging the engine builder for the labour, which is good

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d
28 minutes ago, Tom Tucker said:

Why would you throw 200k km lifters back in?

If you are asking this you'd be plum shocked at some of the sh*t that "workshops" do. Even with new lifters, there's more to it than just chucking them in and calling it a day. Let us know how much quieter it gets, as I'm interested in the outcome.