Retarded timing

Frank Castle 85

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

he also makes a lot less power than you, so don't be advising people to do high power big turbo techniques for a motor that doesn't require it... don't lock the cam timing, it makes the car worse in every day driving... fix the cam phasers.

I've fixed the phasers and what not. I was at 730hp before putting bigger pistons and rods in. It has all the fruit to go even bigger in HP.

37 minutes ago, Typhoon said:

As I mentioned the cam timing was fixed and the problems went away. The motor also produced more power and performed more consistently.

In my instance it was just more gains everywhere.

If your having these issues just lock the cam timing, problem solved.

It could be oiling related, and it just might not be able to be tuned out as such.

Cheers man

• Member For: 19y 6m 4d
56 minutes ago, k31th said:

he also makes a lot less power than you, so don't be advising people to do high power big turbo techniques for a motor that doesn't require it... don't lock the cam timing, it makes the car worse in every day driving... fix the cam phasers.

Whats the solution if you can’t control the cam timing?

Power output has absolutely nothing to do with target cam angle and how its controlled.

Cam shafts, phasers, and VCT solenoids don’t care if you have 320hp or 1000hp.

The motors built. What oil pump is in it? Whats the relief valve set at? Have the oil galleries been modified? Are the big end clearances a little loose? All these things can effect VCT control. 

Just my experiences K31th, and unfortunately if you can’t tune out the problem, then mechanical locking of the cams is the only solution.

what would you suggest?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I'd suggest ensuring it operates properly in factory-spec to start with, then if the tune is having unacceptable control of the cam variations, then fair enough, lock it to your own satisfaction.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

he has a fault... fix the fault before going forward, unless you want to apply a band-aid-fix like that, is all I'm saying... perhaps the issue is more complex and will remain after purchasing the gears to lock it...?

• Member For: 19y 6m 4d

I do see he notes the issue was there on his stock motor too, which is not that uncommon, phasers can malfunction due to lack of oil changes and many other reasons to on a stock engine.

If the actual cam timing can not be controlled and all reasonable attempts have been made to fix it. Locking the cam timing will solve the problem. 

The problem wont be there any longer because the cam angle physically can not change due to the lock outs being in place.

7 hours ago, Typhoon said:

I do see he notes the issue was there on his stock motor too, which is not that uncommon, phasers can malfunction due to lack of oil changes and many other reasons to on a stock engine.

If the actual cam timing can not be controlled and all reasonable attempts have been made to fix it. Locking the cam timing will solve the problem. 

The problem wont be there any longer because the cam angle physically can not change due to the lock outs being in place.

I appreciate all your info man. Over the next day or two, I’ll be placing 20-50 oil in and seeing if there’s an issue with my oil pump. We rewired the loom from the phaser to the ECU and there was nothing wrong with the loom or phasers or cam adjusters as they’re all new (which people have failed to read - except you). 

So there could be a gap problem with the bearings (which can’t be the case as this was happening with stock internals prior to build). So this leaves me with possible oil pump failure. The oil pump has all the atomic gear in there, but because it was fitted by an incompetent c***, he could of f***ed that too. The gap in the bearings is all bang on. So, if I engine doesn’t fail like it has been and I will pull the pump and check it. If that isn’t the case, I’ll do exactly what you’ve said and lock the timing out. You’re the only one that seems to understand what’s going on and read the post and others have failed to read that I’ve replaced all the phasers and cam adjusters. So thank you for reading the OG post and coming at me with a solution. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

You missed the point keefballs was making Frank. Putting cam gears in is not how you fix a cam timing issue.

22 minutes ago, Frank Castle 85 said:

You’re the only one that seems to understand what’s going on

Cos no one else in this thread has any idea about building or tuning barras right?!

Anyhow you do you mate, good luck.