Adjust ZF Power Cut Out ?

snakeoilstu

• Member For: 15y 4m 12d

I have a modestly tuned 2009 FGT, its done 220thou and I have been pretty religious about chnaging the oil every 5000. It also has a trnsmission cooler after finding the thing goes into limp mode a bit too often on track days etc. When I say modest tune 300rwkw and 830nm peak torque at 14psi boost. I have taken it to a couple of drag meets but have found it tends to hang on the gear change, (this is in either of the two auto or the tiptronic manual settings). My mechnaic says the ZF has an input power sensor which will cut spark if it gets overloaded but he can adjust that higher, (I have an SCT X4 flash tuner - I presume that's how he adjusts it as he said he needs the tuner but not the car).

My Q...if youve got this far is...is that a good idea ? I cant seem to run better than 12.9 / 111 for the quarter and I wouild love to get to low 12's or high 11's.  High 11's I could compete with the slower of the street stock trailered cars. .....I drive this one to and from meets. Obviously at some stage more power will be required but if the gearbox is hanging that seems to be the weak link at the moment. If the torque input setting can be adjusted higher, is my reward likely to be a broken gearbox ? On that subject whats a reasoable box replacement to take more load or is that an absolute major.

Any advice gratefully apprecaited.

Stu

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

that "hang" is the factory torque reduction and yes, you can get it tuned out with your xcal4, but taking it out will reduce the life of the gearbox... how much it reduces it is an unknown.

• Member For: 15y 4m 12d

Cheers dude, wtf ...............like me the ford probably wont see out the deacde so I think I'll go for gold ! ...............As a further Q.........best setting for drags ? normal auto "power" or tiptronic ?