b series sedan track setup

trist4nn

• Member For: 2y 7m 21d

hey all.

been reading this forum for years, finally time for some questions. these have been building in my head for 6 months so please bare with me.

hoping to get some advice for setting up an xr6t sedan for track work.
obviously its not quite the right tool for the job but its the car that currently drives, so itll have to do.

setup:
6 speed manual, big clutch. *maybe* 300kw on a lovely cold day on 98.
bilstein b6 shocks (pretty new) and lowered king springs.
f6 brembos, 'forza' pads from brakes direct (theyre... alright. better than ebc)
sway bars are stock, bushes are stock but mostly new.
have always run it on michellin pilot sport 4 tyres, these have been a significant limitation. probably nankangs next.
about -1.3 neg camber in the front, most I could get with the camber shims pulled out.

I'm not looking to go nuts, have another track focused car for that (broken of course), but I'd like to take some mild next steps to getting this thing more consistent around a circuit.
my main issues right now are

1: there seems to be an amount of bodyroll + lack of steering precision. something like a quick s bend will demonstrate (start of example video, forgive the bad driving)
I've read a million threads about sway bars or not. the situation is getting muddied with fg seemingly having a beefier stock swaybar setup?
would like some advice about whether the current available swaybar kits (whiteline 30mm front 22mm rear) actually make these cars faster, or if they just 'feel' less boaty for street driving.

2: im having shocking issues with heatsoak, both intercooler and radiator. I dont have an undertray (buggered if I remember where it went) and suspect that im not getting very good airflow over the heat exchangers. its running a pretty big processwest intercooler but even on a very mild 11c day, once you sit stationary for a moment the heat spikes and takes ages to go down. I datalogged an example of a drive where I did some test pulls on my driveway then sat in a bit of traffic. I saw up to 40c intake temps that didnt go down for ages even after lots of 80kmh cruising in high gear.
I've not got any datalogs from the track, but I imagine the situation is quite a lot worse under sustained fanging. 11c day datalog for the curious: https://datazap.me/u/trist4n/11c-mixed-drive-traffic?log=0&data=1-5&mark=12341-7727

given its already a big and overpriced cooler, whats next for my heatsoak problem?
I'm considering getting hold of another plastic undertray and building a bit of a shroud from the front bar to the edges of the intercooler to try and force some air into it, but its a bit beyond my experience level. maybe some sort of bonnet vent is necessary?

3: I do seem to overhead the diff eventually, there isnt really a warning until it pisses out the overflow and I get a smoke screen behind me. maybe this cant be helped.

that's enough complaining. hopefully somewhere in that rant there are questions that those more experienced can help me with. they got these boats around bathurst somehow afterall.

some supplementary happy snaps and examples of my poor driving.

GiGGcKc.jpg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

Hey man, welcome.

Good to see someone else repping a manual trans for a bit of track work.

All I'd say is don't try and make the car fast on the track, it never will be. Just try and make it fun and reliable.

As for your heat soak, your only option is a bigger, better intercooler, and effective heat shielding around your turbo and manifold. Stock radiator and cooling system is usually OK. I don't know whether others have found an improvement with any of the aftermarket 52mm radiators

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 8d

Doubt you will find any back to back testing of stock vs aftermarket sway bars. The minimal track days I have done I haven't found the stock sway bars as a issue. I actually found the car quite balanced.

This was on fairly worn nankang ar1 all around. 225/40/18.

At corner entry and mid corner I had more speed and balance then most cars on the track. Only thing that had an edge were lightweight Evo and 200sx's etc.

There was a new mustang gt there on brand new Pirelli something's and I had him covered through the entry and mid corner. He had excellent drive off the corner that I couldn't match due to lag then wheelspin lol.

I think with a baby gtx3576 I could have dipped into the 52 second range around luddenham which is impressive.

• Like 2

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 8d

The semi will make a massive difference. Watching your video my Falcon would have been in its element there. All 3rd gear, and in the boost. Would have been a wild ride lol.

Not all semis are equal either. Really have a look at tread wear and see how soft they are. Can be compared to race slicks as well. I think a V8 supercar soft is 20, medium is 40, and hard is 80 or something in that range. Nankang ar1 is 80 from memory.

About 400kw in that video. Was 450 on max boost