Reputable tuner singing a different tune to the forum...

FGeorge

• Member For: 3y 1m 25d

I'm abit late to report in.. but when my car was tuned with dump, high flow cat and injectors way back... I didn't touch the porting and car was fine... and that was on an F6, heaps of people have done the mods you are intending to do without touching the flapper 

im not saying it's the right way or best way... but it's been done without issue a fair few times 

Edited by TRYME
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 15d

@FGeorge The stock 3576 runs out of puff up higher in the rpm (compressor wheel to small) which is why you'll generally see 300x kw @12-14psi "or so" figures posted but the midrange will have 18psi "or so" tapering off.
We are always learning until the day we die mate so the more questions asked, the more can be learnt and hopefully passed on without being a fkhead about it.
You also have to understand that some like to keep their knowledge regardless, like it's some sort of secret squirrel and think they are high and mighty over others which is hilarious imo and in saying that, those people shouldn't be on forums as they are happy to take others knowledge, not pass it on and hoard their own...

There's tonnes of knowledge on this forum and others so get searching. Don't bother asking on Facebook... You might be OK with the barra conversions group but it's also getting full of retards now unfortunately.
Everyone's a hero behind a keyboard!
That's my 2 cents at least.

There's no sh*t stir emoji in Tapatalk...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 15d

Let me add by saying that my above reply is not pointed at anyone in this thread.
If you think you fit my above criteria then it's only my opinion of you ...

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 21d
42 minutes ago, bjc said:

some like to keep their knowledge regardless, like it's some sort of secret squirrel

Like fishermen and their fishing spots. I'll never understand it 🤣
EDIT:
I see you have fish in you profile pic, I hope you don't take offense to this, I only realised after 🤣

Edited by biddie_fiddler

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

There are hobbyists and there are tradesmen and while the former generally share info, the latter have to work for many years, and in the case of tuners, generally pay many thousands of dollars for training to attain their higher level of info and imho are in no way obliged to share it.

In other news you don't need boost control with a stiff enough spring :prankster:

• Like 1

• Member For: 2y 10m 19d

Have had some time to digest the comments above and have spoken to another couple of tuners (all reputable). As you know, the first said I must fix the turbo. Second said it doesn't matter but easier to tune with it done and third said not to bother.

I'm wondering, having done some more research, the worst part of this is running too lean. Would a closed circuit tune not be able to account for that? I've got 1000-s kpm injectors and a 460walbro so surely they'll have enough left in them to shoot more fuel in should the conditions start leaning out?

Is this logic sound or nah? (For those who wish to share their mind stuff)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

It won't run lean no matter what the turbo does as it can't flow enough air to do that. Even if it makes more boost than the tune is asking for it'll automatically add the fuel.

On E85 that pump and injectors can support 500rwkw fairly safely and plenty more on 98. You would need a big fark off turbo to run out of fuel.

Fyi the "closed circuit" that you are referring to is somewhat incorrect.

Closed loop is when it uses the O2 sensor to set the fuelling and it will target 14.7:1 with petrol. This is for cruising and light throttle.

Open loop is when it ignores the O2 sensor and uses a predetermined amount of fuel, which is what the tuner sorts out and pretty much only happens when you floor it.

Another fyi, there is enough fuel in a stock tune to run all the boost, and the knock sensors will take care of any excess timing, although it is better to optimise it.

Tl;dr

It'll be fine.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 27d

Haha sounds like the 'professional' tune that was in my car when I bought it - all the boost, all the timing, hey knock sensors it's your turn to bat.

Makes my a-hole pucker thinking about it, but in practice it worked as long as the knock sensors didn't fail.