Tinted headlights/taillights and LED bulbs

• Member For: 3y 1m 8d

I haven’t been  able to find anything on the topic and was wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge about the legalities with tinting headlights and taillights if I were to use super bright LED bulbs?

So I know LED bulbs are essentially illegal due to being too bright and not ADR approved because of it. I’m also well aware of heavy tints on lights being illegal (based on sight of distance)

The question ultimately being; can I offset the reason of these individual mods being illegal by using them both together to prevent either being a problem in the sense of daily use?  

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Sounds like a question for your regulatory authority.... the regulations are different depending on your locality.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

Tinting is a tough one, you might tint your headlights/taillights to darken them up, but you effect not only hi beams and/or low beams; you're darkening brake lights, reverse lights, indicators etc which becomes risky.

My brother bought taillights that had been darkened using that spray paint tint stuff, covering all but the indicators. I know for sure that they are very illegal, you can hardly see the brake lights during the day when he brakes. Luckily he has a brake light on his djr spoiler or else you'd never know he's braking.

Best to just assume its illegal and accept the risk. I have chameleon tint on the rear tail lights covering the indicator (if you'd ever seen Zac Baldy's rig, I got the inspiration from that) and I know for sure that's illegal. Haven't been booked for it yet though, and neither has my brother.

We're in WA though, and I've heard that we have less strict cops when compared to other states when it comes to car modifications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member For: 3y 1m 8d

Yeah, I had accounted for the lack of lighting with intent of replacing all existing bulbs with LEDs; indicators, brakes and reversing lights as well. 

I’ll definitely be getting the answer before I commit to doing anything as I live in NSW, which I’m pretty sure is the hardest state going for car mods.