Is crank sprocket replacement a must?

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 5d

When replacing timming chain is crank sprocket a must to replace? Obviously if it's missing teeth etc it is.

I'm about to replace guides due to them being damaged and while I'm at it I've decided to get a genuine ford chain and do that aswell. Bit have been told to change the sprocket aswell as there common to wear......is this true?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Yeah nah she'll be right.

Look at the thing and if you see signs of wear then swap it. The turbo ones are induction hardened and the na ones are left soft, so use a turbo one.

I used a second hand turbo one with 160xxx km and it had zero signs of wear.

On 16/07/2021 at 2:24 PM, Puffwagon said:

Yeah nah she'll be right.

Look at the thing and if you see signs of wear then swap it. The turbo ones are induction hardened and the na ones are left soft, so use a turbo one.

I used a second hand turbo one with 160xxx km and it had zero signs of wear.

Well the one on it now was from a N/A engine that had way less ks then my turbo engine. They both looked identical from memory....also ford list one for both turbo and non turbo 

bit I need to change guides as ones broken. So gonna change guides and chain with genuine chain. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Nason guides are $40 so go with them. Get an atomic chain cos it'll last forever and is fairly cheap.

You can see a coloured ring around the teeth where the turbo one has been hardened. Realistically you could use whatever you want if you had to.

Yeah I got a AUSTRAL timing kit very cheap (allot cheaper then RRP.) As just wanted to use the guides from the kit as they are the same ones nason use. However I'm not useing the chain that came with it as I seen I can get a genuine chain cheap or alike (as U said atomic)

I had no idea they used different sprockets. Now I'm regretting throwing it out haha. 

Do you know how good the tensioners are from the nason kits?  Or am I better of useing the original one. The nason/Austral ones look decent and feel decent though. (Tawain made..prob same as genuine now haha)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

A stock tensioner is fine for nearly everything. Just be sure to pry it with a bar and give it an extra click when you load up the chain. Not too much but a good click.

Thanks. Have you ever herd of "maxtop" timming chains? There a tawain brand unknown. Online reviews have a few that have broken or stretched but I have also seen a few that say there good. Ot came with the Austral kit ....said it was for turbo aswell.

I don't think I'll risk it and I'll just get the genuine one.