New Turbo help

TomTerritory

• Member For: 2y 9m 11d

Its a bit of a botched job really, not too keen on posting pics and getting flamed for it! Anyway see image, please be kind... While grinding the housing I marked up the sealing surface. Got me a bit annoyed, I was rushing a bit as I had a good welder lined up to do the weld for me that night.

Thinking about pulling the actuator arm out and taking it into work and getting the face milled to clean up the surface.

Testing with light it doesnt look too bad though, but obviously not perfect. See short vid of me testing it with light.

https://youtube.com/shorts/P1_fapaKPCI?feature=share

IMG_4344.jpg

Next question, how much pre-load should I set the actuator up with? I dummy set the arm up with a bit over 1/2 a hole and put pressure on the actuator (co2..) and the hole lines up at ~4psi, so the actuator begins to open around 4psi. 

Shall I pre-load it a bit higher ~ 6-8psi. Will that make it easier to control boost a bit higher?

IMG_4360.jpg

Nevermind… dumb idea it runs out of stroke at 10psi so I would just be limiting how much it opens! Actually surprised at how little it opens.

this is what I measured for pressure Vs travel for reference. 

0psi = 0mm

4psi = 4mm

6psi = 10-11mm

8psi = 17-18mm 

Update, got it tuned. They couldnt control the boost below 16psi 😭

So they set the rev limter to 5,200rpm as they were running out of fuel to tune it at that psi. Still it made 248kW @ 5,200rpm. 

The tuner was a local tuner who has pcmtec and an awd dyno. 

Not sure why they didnt try this but I am going to try and bypass the boost control solenoid and see if that's causing overboost. Otherwise my porting job was no good...