New Turbo help

TomTerritory

• Member For: 2y 9m 10d
1 hour ago, JETURBO said:

But you’re all missing the fact Garrett GT-GTX-GTW series turbochargers have a built in restrictor and it’s much bigger than 1mm ….. Ohhh Nooo Spaghetti ooooo’s

CjhNZLV.jpg

So the 1mm restriction could’ve been causing issues? Shall I bore it out?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

WTF bro, it doesn’t need it at all, the GTX series can take full oil pressure as it has an “in built” restrictor 

😐

Think I need to get the larger flapper, I ground it out slightly too large on one spot. Looked ok, then I shone a light through and can see light coming out in one section. Tested with feeler gauge and its about 0.2 - 0.25mm gap on about 10mm of the circumference. Guessing this will affect spool up if its not fully sealed. 

Thinking I need to get the 37mm flapper now.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 16d
On 10/08/2021 at 2:50 PM, TomTerritory said:

Wow, looks good. So to change the flapper you grind it off and weld the new one on?

Yeah, pretty much.  They come with a "bulb" that slides on the shaft of the flapper that you can weld on.

That may be a little too large of a gap to not worry about.  You may as well get a flapper and take it out to the max while you have it off. Leave a 1mm seat like me.  Cost you all of $30-60 depending on where you get it from eBay.

On 12/08/2021 at 3:15 PM, finnas said:

Yeah, pretty much.  They come with a "bulb" that slides on the shaft of the flapper that you can weld on.

That may be a little too large of a gap to not worry about.  You may as well get a flapper and take it out to the max while you have it off. Leave a 1mm seat like me.  Cost you all of $30-60 depending on where you get it from eBay.

I’m just about giving up on this and looking at buying a new housing. Carefully ground off the old flapper, put the new 37mm flapper in and it catches on the side of the housing? It’s too big.