New Turbo help

TomTerritory

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
7 minutes ago, TomTerritory said:

I’ll call them tomorrow, but really couldn’t they do 80% of the tune on the street then just do a few pulls on the dyno for a couple of hours? Anyway I’ll chat to them about it tomorrow. 

That's pretty much what they should do. Have a chat to them so your comfortable with the process, and don't be afraid to ask about the high speed driving if that is a concern for you.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Seriously any professional workshop should have or should have access to any tool required to do the job correctly. 

You 100% can not tell up-to a 20rwkw / 50nm swing on the road when you’re over 300rwkw so how the bloody hell do you know if you’re anywhere near a completed tune with a bum Dyno… you just don’t !!

its a tool for a reason, a highly calibrated device to plot exactly where and when you’re delivering torque and if you’ve maximised / saturated every aspect of the tune for the vehicle in question with stability around the environmental factors too..

Don't even get me started about trying to street tune and delivering anything close to what that tune would look like if done on a Dyno !

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

you can do that a lot cheaper yourself... it's all fairly simple wrenching if you're careful etc except the porting job

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

You don't need those mods unless you want all the boost. You can easily make 10 to 12 psi on a stock actuator and turbine housing, which should net you 250 to 270awkw, give or take.

Aaron does have a point about the dyno stuff regarding the power measurement but I reckon you can get it close to 95% done if you already have a lot of dyno experience, have done a sh*tload of ford tuning and use knock ears when on the road. If not then yeah nah you won't be nearly close enough to charge a decent tuning fee. I've personally gone down that road so ole bellbat is on the money here imo.

The thing with a stock intercooler is you will want to keep the boost as low as possible and make up the power with timing, which sounds like these guys aren't going to do if they are recommending a 12psi actuator.

• Member For: 2y 9m 10d

their concern was not being able to control the boost down low enough with the stock actuator not being able to flow enough air.

I said it’s a stock dump pipe and seemed to run ok on the stock turbo with the flash tune….

Spoke to another tuner an hour away with an awd dyno and they do pcmtec they said I probably will be ok without flapper mod, thinking about going with them. Just a bit far away if I need a follow up tune etc. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Eh an hour's not really that far, even if you do have to go back again once the weather warms up.

Another thing to remember is that you have a smaller turbo than before so it will be more responsive, but will flow about the same or slightly more than a stock turbo, so boost creep shouldn't be any worse than what it is now.

• Like 1

• Member For: 2y 9m 10d

I’m back to stressing out that the turbo is stuffed. I know puff you said the noise sounded ok but I feel like there is a fair bit of play in it too. Also the noise. It made zero noise before installing it and zero play. Only been on the car a couple of weeks.

im going to pull the filter off tomorrow and have a look. Mechanic said they checked everything, oil supply and drain. 

note the old turbo oil feed line was clean and not blocked but the old turbo had gunk in it looked like blocking the channels internally? 

see video, I’m just wiggling the shaft up and down you can hear the play. I use a sock as it’s still hot I was just driving (would there be play when hot and not when cold?)