New Turbo help

TomTerritory

• Member For: 2y 9m 10d

Have had my territory turbo for about a month and my turbo has died due to lack of oil, which I am discovering is quite common. I have ordered a new oil feed line but I am looking at what turbo I should get, or if I should get it rebuilt? I dont want the car off the road for long, preferably would like to get a turbo by the weekend....

Car has high flow cat into 3.5" exhaust, bosch 42lb injectors and a flash tune (inderpendent motorsports). 

I do want to take it as an opportunity to upgrade but I dont want to waste money when I am not chasing huge horsepower anyway. I want a turbo with good response and mid range and enough for ~300kW atw (with supporting injectors, fuel etc). Pretty sure stock turbo can handle that, was thinking about possibly going down a size to the FG turbo for more response? 

At the moment I have looked at pulasr (cheap, havent seen a bad review though?), kinugawa, or OEM?

https://www.pulsarturbo.com.au/collections/ford-xr6/products/pulsar-ford-ba-bf-xr6-gt3582r-new-gen-drop-in-upgrade-chra-1

https://www.cartel-aus.com/product-category/turbos/kinugawa-turbo-australia-cartel/ford-xr6-turbos/

https://www.turbomasteraustralia.com.au/products/836033-5004s

I am located in Newcastle NSW.

Edited by TomTerritory
grammar

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

it's really totally up to you on what you do... a rebuilt turbo to stock spec is the cheapest but takes a while... any aftermarket turbo will cost a fair bit to purchase, get to you and then have installed and almost all aftermarket turbo's require at least minor mechanical changes to get the turbo to fit.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Thanks for the responses and the welcome! I guess my post was a bit vague.

I am happy to spend the money on an aftermarket turbo if it is going to be an improvement. Happy to get it tuned, do battery relocation and new intake.  Would prefer to not change the exhaust again so want to go with internal wastegate with stock interface. 

I guess my question is, for my needs, would an aftermarket turbo be a worthwhile improvement and if so which one, or should I just look around for a decent condition second hand turbo and save my money for a front mount?

also just generally asking for any experience good or bad with different manufacturers (ones I mention above or any others). Which are good, which should be avoided?

Last question, can fg battery relocation kits and intake kits be fitted/ modified to fit the territory ?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Yeah man I reckon a smaller, gen 2 gtx3576r or similar size g series turbo would be killer on a territory. It'll cost more than a repair to your current one but that's a given.

Hands down, the best upgrade for a territory is a front mount. Providing you keep the power reasonable, the plaz kit is great and requires minimal cutting of the vehicle.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Cheers mate, they aren't much but it's something! Hopefully get some roll racing footage up eventually.

You would buy a supercore and fit it to your housing. You might need a different actuator bracket but someone else can confirm the details of that, as I've only frigged around with the slightly larger turbos.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Got the GTX3576R from GCG and got it installed. Everything seemed to swap over ok but they couldn't quite clock the turbo to the exact same angle as the standard one so it was a bit difficult getting the top mount piping to connect, but got it on there. 

Ordered a turbo side intake and battery relocation kit but it hasn’t arrived so just running a pod filter on the turbo for now. Spool noise is so loud with the tiny pod.

Booked in for a tune but just driving around and trying to keep off the boost. Which is proving very difficult.

• Like 2