Buying used 2006 BF Mk2 xr6 turbo ute

tommo2554

• Member For: 2y 9m 6d

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is selling their 2006 bf mk 2 xr6t ute for $14k which I might offer $12k for but want other peoples opinions first.

Has dyno tests of 400 kW. Running on 98 octane and has done 200,000 km. Looks great from the photos and has the following mods:

Crow valve springs
80lbs injectors
Battery relocation
3.5 inch exhaust with de cat
Plazmaman intercooler
Pulsar gtx3584r
4 inch turbo side intake
7psi actuator
Walbro 460 intank pump
Boost and volt gauges
New engine mounts
New trans mount

Im in my 20s and this sounds like an awesome car for a couple years while im young. It would be my daily car. How dumb of an idea is it if I bought it for $12,000?

Please tell me every reason why I should or shouldnt get it (fuel cost/practicality/reliability). I want it so bad but I know im not looking at it objectively. Im not too versed in cars or mods but willing to learn

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

if it's illegal for you to drive, don't buy it... you're just asking for a circumstance you won't be able to live with...

also 80lb injectors with a 7psi actuator and supposedly 400kW on 98 is asking a shedload of the components and would be running a lot of boost which wouldn't be safe for the engine in any way, so you'd want to at least be banking on replacing the engine at some stage, at a minimum...

Cheers mate, didnt know itll be overloading the engine. Ive got my full license so it is legal, and I certainly have a lot of respect to powerful cars and the roads. Id be doing modest driving 99% of the time with the occasional squirt, so will that reduce the risk on the engine? Similarly if im mostly doing modest driving as my daily is it a waste buying this car? The price is very enticing...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

If you buy a powerful car you'll be pushing it hard more than you know ;)

But if you've got a full license, you should be old enough to assess the options and make the choice for yourself.

It's never a waste to drive a powerful car a lot, even if you don't hammer it much. Plenty of maintenance required on a modified turbo car though, as all of the components wear out faster than a stock variant.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 29d

Lots of us driving dailys with >400rwkw. Its very doable.

I think the bigger question for u is do you have coin to throw at it. Its going to need work/maintenance and things will need repair or upgrading.

Given the age, kms, mods/power the engine/transmission are going to need major work at some point.

I figured since its a BF servicing wont be too pricey. Im happy to change parts maybe once a year(no idea what prices would be like though..😅) and all the mods are insured and done by a reputable shop, therefore im under the assumption that if I dont thrash the car and respect it I should be "ok". I did a very rough petrol pricing for 98oct and its looking like an extra $600 for fuel alone. Havnt had any experience with a modded car, nor even a xr6t, so maybe this isnt as good as I thought it was. But geez, $12,000 for a BF xr6t under 200km, just feels like that offer wont come round again any time soon. Thanks though guys, definitely learnt some things.

• Member For: 6y 11m 19d

It won't be making 400rwkw on 98 with a pulsar gtx. What month was it built? You want it from May 2006 on to have the typhoon engine or upgrade if you want to call it that. Nothing wrong with a decent daily but maintenance is a constant.

• Member For: 3y 1m 26d

At 12k it's priced well for current market conditions.... if you have money to throw at it and breakages wont cripple you go for it..

if buying the Ute and then having a mini heart attack at even the thought of something breaking is the position you are in/funds are tight then steer clear... there awesome cars but need big maintanence at 400kw plus, regardless of what a lot of people will tell you