M86 diff freshen up

skotty

• Member For: 10y 2m 14d

Got to get bearings and crush washer done on my M86, it had the flange changed when the GJ driveline tailshaft went in and now it's starting to whine and get a little noisy. The current theory from everyone is when the flange was changed the preload on the crush washer went up the sh*t, and it's chewed pinion bearings and hopefully the gears are ok... I'll get the lsd clutches replaced for good measure while in there..

Can anyone recommend a diff should they'll get it pretty well spot on in Adelaide or Melbourne? Was tossing up with boss diffs in Adelaide or Karl's diffs in Melbourne. Any other suggestions? I live half way between the 2 so travel isn't a issue, and the centres out of the car currently. 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Hey Skotty 

Yep, that’s the common story unfortunately as very few people actually check the correct preload against the crush washer when changing flanges. 

Hit me up via P.M and I can sort you out with what would technically be a full overhaul as there’s no point in doing any less from this point on in.