Haltech BA XR6 Turbo tuning in Perth that wont lock my ECU

speedoreido

• Member For: 11y 7d
22 hours ago, TRYME said:

Just tell them it's a tune on a BA with a standard engine not some magical combo that no one else knows about... tell the shop that you want to do the work that youl tune with them

provided they don't lock the ecu and get it in writing!  im betting  that for that type of engine combo one of the good shops will agree...

out of curiosity may I ask why you forked out for a haltech for the type of power/engine combo you will be utilising? 

not criticising just curious? 

If I mention that I would like to be present for the tune I generally get no response at all. I was having trouble with my Ute where it would intermittently shut down while driving and the A/C had stopped working. Pouring cold water the computer helped the not running problem so I decided on a new computer. Finding a replacement was hard and getting mine re furbished would have cost a lot. Fitting the Haltech has fixed these problems.  I also liked that the Haltech/Barra Combo could be fitted to another vehicle if something was to happen to my ute.

5 hours ago, biddie_fiddler said:

From what I understand, locking the tune is to cover the tuners arse in the event that someone else changes the tune which causes a failure. The risk is that you can then go to the tuner and blame them.

Also, tuning is an art, or like a fishing spot for a fisherman. "trade secrets" if you will. It takes tuners a long time, lots of time and effort, to tune engines. Another risk is that you can take that tune and give it to other people, negating the need to go to the tuner. 

I understand both perspectives, having been on both sides (not car related). 

Also, you've likely heard this before, why not go to MT and deal with Rob? or Dark Horse and deal with Simon?

Both extremely good at what they do and will give you all the support you need for current and future tuning that you need.

Why do you want an unlocked tune?
have you considered tuning yourself? get onto haltech tuning forums if they exist and get some advice from experienced users. I'm sure there's plenty people out there willing to help :)  

I agree that tuning is an art so therefore what works for my car won't work for a car that has a different combo of modifications. So unless you have a stock standard car every tune should be different and can't just be copy/pasted to anther vehicle. I may end up going to one of the main tuners as I have started to learn how to tune but it is a slow process and I miss being able to drive my car hard. I just don't like the idea that I spent all of this money on a computer and that allows me to change everything but I am locked out from doing it.

2 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

Not really related but I drank 2 bottles of whiskey and nearly 2 cartons on the weekend and was pissing like I'd just found the antilag button to my willy.

I agree not related but a solid effort. I would quite happily swap drinking for some Boost at the moment as I have only put about 100kms on my XR6T this year.

• Member For: 3y 1m 25d

You misinterpreted what I said if your car has identical/ very similar mods to another car I guarantee the tuner has copy and pasted another tune done to a car with same/similar mods and then tweaks it slightly to suit your specific car.....

say for example a tuner did an FG turbo with 1000cc injectors intercooler and 100 cell cat and the next day another FG turbo comes in same mods wanting a tune, you reckon he's not gonna utilise yesterday's tune file and make slight adjustments where needed? 

No one is writing a whole new tune every car they do... (nothing wrong with that but it is what it is) 

The reason why no response when you say you wanna be there for the tune is coz you'd be pissed off with how much your tune cost you when you realise how quick it's actually done....  (not not every shop is like this but most are)....

I understand everyone's gotta make a living and 1000 Dollar tune fee  when you gotta pay for a dyno and overheads and software I can understand, but most charge over 1000 Now and treat you like your beneath them or there doin you a favour touching your car...... when I got my first ever tune done years ago on a HSV maloo I was sittin in the waiting room of the shop as I got there abit early saw my car climb onto the dyno within 30mins it was back off again.... 

and that's what I mean you paid good money for your haltech so you should be able to use it the way you want to....

Edited by TRYME