Haltech BA XR6 Turbo tuning in Perth that wont lock my ECU

speedoreido

• Member For: 10y 11m 16d

Hello Everyone

I have a 2003 BA XR6T and recently I purchased a Haltech Elite Plug and Play ECU. I need to get it tuned but all of the main tuners in Perth want to lock the computer afterwards which I am not keen on. Does anyone know someone in Perth that would be willing to tune it without locking the ECU? I am not looking for crazy power as I understand that the Early BAs had the weakest bottom end of all of the XR6Turbos Below is a list of the modifications that the car has.

Exhaust, Intercooler, Re located battery and 4 Inch CAI, Plazmamann Valve Springs, T56 6 speed Transmission, Walbro TIA485-2 Fuel Pump, TIAL waste gate . My ute was previously tuned with a CAPA piggy back ECU and made 330kw @15PSI using DEKA 60 Pound Injectors which have now been upgraded to 1000cc Injectors.

• Member For: 3y 1m 3d

Just tell them it's a tune on a BA with a standard engine not some magical combo that no one else knows about... tell the shop that you want to do the work that youl tune with them

provided they don't lock the ecu and get it in writing!  im betting  that for that type of engine combo one of the good shops will agree...

out of curiosity may I ask why you forked out for a haltech for the type of power/engine combo you will be utilising? 

not criticising just curious? 

Edited by TRYME

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

From what I understand, locking the tune is to cover the tuners arse in the event that someone else changes the tune which causes a failure. The risk is that you can then go to the tuner and blame them.

Also, tuning is an art, or like a fishing spot for a fisherman. "trade secrets" if you will. It takes tuners a long time, lots of time and effort, to tune engines. Another risk is that you can take that tune and give it to other people, negating the need to go to the tuner. 

I understand both perspectives, having been on both sides (not car related). 

Also, you've likely heard this before, why not go to MT and deal with Rob? or Dark Horse and deal with Simon?

Both extremely good at what they do and will give you all the support you need for current and future tuning that you need.

Why do you want an unlocked tune?
have you considered tuning yourself? get onto haltech tuning forums if they exist and get some advice from experienced users. I'm sure there's plenty people out there willing to help :)  

Tbh F*ck the tuners.... only in this stupid industry does someone say yea you pay for something but you can't have full use of it..... I'm not a tuner but this platforms been around for going on 2 decades theres nothing  that secret about a basic tune 

they try to justify charging 1000 bucks for flashing in a tune they've already got created  to suit your cars mods and make a few Minor

tweaks from car to Car for basic tunes it Ain't nothing special...

when I was a hvac engineer towards the end of my Career working with one of the leading global hvac companies I was involved in the engineering  design and configuration of some serious stuff with values in the hundreds of millions... and let me tell you most of the time there was nothing that revolutionary going on but everyone would act like we were recreating the world up in those meeting rooms...

bunch of crap

oh and even if the tuner did stuff your car with there tune most won't help

you and blame it on something else...

sorry for the good ones out there bcoz there is good guys but it's a shark of an industry 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

The tuner will have a copy of every tune they put out and can easily back their own evidence in the event that you try to blame them for something after changing it... but the intellectual property you are right about, biddie.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I know they're not vastly different, but an analogy fits...

we humans are 99.5+ % matching DNA with chimpanzees; it's that small percentage difference that matters the most.

• Like 2

That's not a bad analogy actually touché my friend.... I wonder how Ford would of felt that tuners can have access to there base maps Ford would of spent many $$$ in the development in there base maps thus the shops being hypocritical they don't write there tunes completlely from scratch they improve upon fords initial investment, do they pay monies into Ford for using there intelectual property or do they say oh it's the customers car hence they own the tune..... hmmmmm 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

well, I wouldn't imagine Ford were happy about the initial breaking of their code... But it's a bit hard to sue everybody who does it.

100%,  products Ive had a massive input into designing for my former employer even though many had patents as soon as they were put onto the market the competition buys it and reverse engineers it finding a way to improve it further or worm around the patent... it happens everywhere

my point just was they scream intelectual

property when the base maps they work from isn't there property to begin with