Rear end vibration

Redterrorcich

• Member For: 2y 9m 16d

Hi guys any ideas what could cause a rear end vibration on my ba. I get what feels like driveline vibration at 45 - 60kph and back again at 80+.seems to get worse under load like when I start going uphill or under deceleration, it kinda goes away if I accelerate hard, but the thing that gets me is it gets really bad for couple of seconds whenever I go through a dip in the road, as soon as the rear end hits it.

Tailshaft center bearing and uni are good.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yeah, it could be the tailshaft centre bearing too, but that doesn't really feel like it's at the rear more the centre, but sounds like you're onto it.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
23 minutes ago, Redterrorcich said:

it gets really bad for couple of seconds whenever I go through a dip in the road,

Did you get the centre bearing or uni joints done recently? Going through a dip will change the uni angle and could be why it gets worse then.

If the shafts weren't lined up properly when resembled, there will be a vibration present.

Anyhow there's something to consider.

• Member For: 2y 9m 16d

They where done about a year ago it was good for the first few months, then a slight vibrations started and progressively got worse to how it is now.

Thinking about getting a reconditioned shaft to try that before I go spending sh*t loads of money getting the rear end done. I showed a mechanic the bearing and he said it was all good but I noticed you can move the shaft around in the bearing a fair bit when it was on the hoist but it's not broken or anything is that normal? They seem to think about that it's fine.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
40 minutes ago, Redterrorcich said:

a reconditioned shaft

That will be a second hand shaft from the wreckers that has a new centre bearing and has been painted to look new. It's not what I would do at this stage.

If the centre bearing and uni's were replaced and it was fine for a while then turned to sh*t after a few months, I would look there again. If a cheap centre bearing was used, they can literally be stuffed from the moment you install them, due to being a piece of sh*t. You can't tell if a centre bearing is good or not just by looking at it, unless it is torn. Even if it looks fine it might be no good.

Anyhow there is that. You can get a vibration test done that will narrow down what is actually vibrating (via the frequency of the vibrations) if you want to go that far.