Is this possible? Need for Speed NOS button tune

Ok guys, hear me out

Here's what I want to do

Picture a day at the tracks, coming through the corners nicely on a low power tune for the track, keeping the rear in line and tackling the corners nicely. Then, out of a corner into a straight, foot down...

What's missing is a button that changes tunes to a higher kw tune so that when you hit the straight, you can press the 'nitrous' button, Turbo psi increases, injectors open up, etc and you get a solid pull along the straight. Switch back to the track tune and hit the corners again. Obviously would be nice on the street too if you want to swap easily between your daily power and a more powerful tune at will.

Sort of like playing a playstation game and hitting the nos button just when you need extra power

Is this possible? Can we do this?

I really need this in my life

it won't be cheap... you'll need all of the NOS kit hardware, plus the relevant tuning platform your tuner uses plus heaps of dyno time, plus the relevant hardware for NOS detection etc and the ability to switch tunes dynamically...

Sounds like you are saying you want a NOS style button, not actual NOS?

Doesn't the accelerator pedal already do this? You modulate it based on how much power you want in the situation.

If you wanted it more subdued at light throttle and all the hectics at higher throttle, your tuner can easily map it that way in the tune.

PCMTec can do boost by gear, so you could have it tuned for different boost targets depending what gear you are in. Can also have the tune switchable from the cruise buttons, but not quite suited to actually changing it during a lap, between corners, etc.

For an actual button or switch to immediately change the tune you'd probably need to look at going to a Haltech ECU.

Yeah you can do that easily.

Just use PCMTec to activate all the stuff with the cruise control button.

Pull for hecticness, release for normalness. 

20 minutes ago, El Andrew said:

For an actual button or switch to immediately change the tune you'd probably need to look at going to a Haltech ECU.

Nah. Just use PCMTec and the cruise control button as a scramble button.

• Like 2

You've gotta hold the cruise control to keep it changed though, otherwise there is another feature that can enable tune switching while it's running, but that is more of a thing to do and isn't what I'd be doing, to suit the first post.

Doing that can cause danger to manifold and then floor pan can fall out,, do it at your own risk!! 

but in all seriousness like the boys said pcmtec is good but if you want it on a dedicated button haltech or other quality ecu is the way to go....

haltech on the falcons is good but it ain't good enough for what they charge for it 

Edited by TRYME
  • Like 1

You can actually do a separate switch (which could be a button lol) to completely change maps, apart from the cruise control button, or if you want you can do a rotary dial. With the first post's requirements in mind, using the rotary dial, you would have to work out when on the dial (which boost level etc) you wanted the nitrous to switch on, but that is easy enough to do. That way you could have a bit of extra wiggle room for boost control before nitrous was activated.

Anyhow all of this is on the pcmtec forum so have a look over there if yous are interested in learning more :declare:

Yeah man the rotary dial setup uses the same premise as a flex fuel signal, except you manually turn the dial. You can pick and choose what maps you blend and in this case you can blend boost, timing and after a set point, the nitrous system, which will also take into account boost and timing etc blah blah blah.

When I say it's easy, it's not really and you need to use some creative tuning but it is all possible with the stock pcm.

Wow.... when I owned my R34 GTR many moons ago (before they were worth mega bucks) I remember having to fork out 5k for a at the time was a top ecu and to think now with the falcons most things are possible on a factory pcm.... so tell me is the factory pcm really that good from Ford? Or have the likes of pcmtec just put heaps of time into making it work? 

Edited by TRYME
4 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

You've gotta hold the cruise control to keep it changed though

This actually sounds perfect since I would only use it sparingly

I love that I can ask a question like this and there are people here who figure out out. 

If anyone does something like this before I am able to, let us know!

If any of you guys live down north Haven way I would love to run my GT 290 against your In lines. The barra is revered. But there really is not that much in it. People rave on about the ls2 and the Turbo barra. But the 5.4 gets no love. Its got quad

cams that should provide low , mid and very high torque. Actually it was the first car in Aussie  to have quad cams. That's two per side. Yes I know the Inline turbo is a much simpler engine. But there 800,000 in a million. How many 290 GT's are there?

Is this the need for speed nos button tune thread.  Mate, this has all been covered before. You are not using nos on the street are you ? If you are and you crash, you will not be covered. You could lose your house and even your other 4 houses.

• Like 1

:pandalol:  people can do whatever they want with their cars and take as many risks with their own vehicle as they want, as long as they're not endangering others, which he wouldn't be by using it on a track, lol

• Like 1
If any of you guys live down north Haven way I would love to run my GT 290 against your In lines. The barra is revered. But there really is not that much in it. People rave on about the ls2 and the Turbo barra. But the 5.4 gets no love. Its got quad
cams that should provide low , mid and very high torque. Actually it was the first car in Aussie  to have quad cams. That's two per side. Yes I know the Inline turbo is a much simpler engine. But there 800,000 in a million. How many 290 GT's are there?
Yea man im north haven area, happy to have a run.

Mate. Use a pc. I am stuck in the old ages. That's why I drive a v8. Soon./ well not real soon. I am guessing 10 years there will be no petrol cars left. 

PS. I don't even know what tap a talk is. . I hate fones. Thwere for sms and calling triple 000.

Are you kidding me. Your the second person that has challenged me. I jusat like to see cars going flat chat side by side.

6 hours ago, k31th said:

:pandalol:  people can do whatever they want with their cars and take as many risks with their own vehicle as they want, as long as they're not endangering others, which he wouldn't be by using it on a track, lol

Yes but, I know a road that has no interconnecting roads foe 3 klms. That's plenty of room to get up to speed and then stop before the intersection.

16 hours ago, k31th said:

anything like this is do-able as long as you're willing to spend the money on the parts and the ability to control it haha

I cant even control a dead stop start. My drags start at 100. the old btr 4 speed only kicks into 2nd at 180.

That would suck

No I'm not planning to use nos. I want a tune that is button activated while driving so that it's LIKE hitting the nos button in a game. Just a tune running more psi so you get the sensation of it as you plant it down a straight at the tracks and hit the button to swap to a more powerful tune. 

Just an added fun factor