Fg n/a to turbo conversion

Joenash85

• Member For: 3y 8m 8d

I know, I know, how original, another person putting a turbo onto a n/a engine, but this has been something that I have been wanting to do for the better part of my life, I've tried and failed a number of projects in the past due to inexperience and lack of research.

So at the beginning of covid, I had to upgrade my car from my old au wagon due to saviour oil leaks (running through about 4l every 3 weeks), and I've been wanting to get an xr6 turbo for probably the better part of the last 4 years, unfortunately, it was during the time when covid taxes started to come into play, so I decided to get a n/a, so I could do this conversion, the 2 things it had to have was, it had to be manual and it had to be safe, as I use it for work as well, so I found myself a 2010 fg sedan with a 6 speed manual, in viper (I believe that's the colour code name), and started getting parts.

I got the following:

Fg turbo factory intake manifold 

Fg turbo factory fuel rail, injectors and fuel reg

Fg turbo throttle body (after looking at the n/a and turbo, they looked the same)

Fg factory turbo hard lines

Fg turbo over engine intake system

Muffler delete with a 4 inch inlet

Fg turbo factory exhaust manifold 

Fg factory dump

Garrett gtx3582r gen 2 (new)

Fg f6 full alloy intercooler 

Factory intercooler piping

Plazmaman elbow to the throttle body 

Braided lines for water and oil lines

Fg turbo power steering cooler

3.5 inch exhaust from cat back with factory front section 

Various sized vacuum lines

Radiator hoses

New reservoir with 2 return points (fg only had 1)

And the usual things oils, coolent, filters, plugs, etc

Due to my work, it took me a little longer than I thought, and with only basic knowledge, I managed to get the car done in about 12 days (about 6 actual work days where I could actuallydo it), tune hopefully done this week with the hopes of getting about 270rwkw, and if I can work out the adding of pictures side of things, I'll add them

Edited by Joenash85

• Member For: 3y 1m 25d

Mate tbh with the current turbo prices don't blame you for doin a conversion... but I don't think it's really a covid thing driving the turbo prices but anyways that's beside the point......

well done on the conversion and goodluck with it!! How much boost you planning to run through the N/A motor? And who's gonna tune? :) 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

should be a good choice, tuner-wise... also they probably won't lean on your N/A motor too hard which is part of that offering from them being recommended.

good job on doing it all yourself... it's not a project for the faint of heart and almost never worth it if you then account for your time/effort as compared to selling up and buying a turbo variant ;)

So I managed to do the pictures, yay for that post showing how, thanks heaps.

My car, rims came with the car, so no idea where, how much or if they're genuine or not

QbvZmIo.jpgVkflkWn.jpg

Engine bay before the conversion. 

MCRBgIh.jpg

Some during pics

DCXCrO4.jpglmIAI8i.jpgqUtb6yb.jpg

Bit more progress 

cyVlSlk.jpgIuYJVbf.jpgWUD7IIA.jpg

Some close ups of my dodgy work

iO1Hi7J.jpgEWtGgs1.jpg

this little f**ker had me frustrated trying to find it in my boxes of stuff

lbrvwah.jpg

installed

R3jxEBC.jpg

started looking good to me here

sblmQHr.jpg

I had a couple of videos of it running after everything done, but doesn't want to work for me, oh well, I'll see what I can do when it's tuned, but right now she's dirty, so want to give it a good details before I take some finished pictures. 

Didn't Ford come out with 20 inch BBS rims?, damn, been telling everyone they're factory, hahahahahahaha 

13 minutes ago, k31th said:

should be a good choice, tuner-wise... also they probably won't lean on your N/A motor too hard which is part of that offering from them being recommended.

good job on doing it all yourself... it's not a project for the faint of heart and almost never worth it if you then account for your time/effort as compared to selling up and buying a turbo variant ;)

Thanks mate, I've only ever heard positive feedback about forced, and the price for a tune, to me, seems rather reasonable, and I'll be honest, having pretty much everything minor a few minor things, I actually found it rather easy really, just finding out vacuum lines and a few other items was the last things I needed to work out, which, thanks to posts on here, helped heaps.

Honestly, if I had to do a do over, I would do the same thing again, so fun doing it, only thing I would change would be the location of where I did it, that's all.