The Barra is meant to be reliable. I want power AND reliability. How can I get the best of both worlds?

FGeorge

• Member For: 2y 9m 26d

Those are awesome fuel stats, basically what I'm getting stock. I get that fuel is a small cost compared with the mods I've got to do but it factors in. Nice to be able to get good amount of driving done on a tank while also having the option to haul ass.

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d
8 minutes ago, finnas said:

Think atm of the top of my head, with an avg speed of 35kph im averaging around 15L/100. When I was doing longer freeway driving with average 40kph closer to 12L/100.  And on longer country trips, still the same as stock as it's mostly off boost and cruising instantaneous sits at 7-8 when doing between 100-110.

But the thing is, once you mod, you stop caring about fuel consumption. it is going to be one of your lower costs on this journey even if you're paying $2/L for E85 like us over here in WA

$2/L for E85!!!!! Mate you're living the dream. I'm jealous! haha

• Haha 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 16d
4 hours ago, FGeorge said:

Nice to be able to get good amount of driving done on a tank while also having the option to haul ass.

The beauty of flex fuel is that if I want more power with out going full e85 can do e40-e60 and still get a decent chunk of kms while the tune sprinkles some more timing over the map :P

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d
9 hours ago, FGeorge said:

Interesting. What's an ims diff hat and what's it do?

Really??? 

Damn ok, so when do we move into fast territory? 

Sounds like if I want a fast falcon I won't be able to have reliability, but with an unlimited budget we should be able to build an unbreakable car, no?

What exactly do you mean by this? What would we be doing to the drive line?

Remember, unlimited budget. If it takes me 10 years to save the money to do this, so be it. 

I want performance and reliability. It must be possible! If this forum can't figure out how to engineer this, then it can't be done. But I have trust in you all!

IMS diff hat, tail shaft, bigger axles. That is almost $10k there. Add clutch or input shaft depending on trans. 

I still personally think 400kw is where the car starts to feel fast, but everyone is different!

Where is starts to get very expensive is moving away from the stock exhaust manifold and stock motor.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

There is probability $1500-$2k just in labour for IMS diff hat. Rear cradle out isn't a small job. And not just any shop knows how to replace the side diff bushes properly to ensure the diff hat is silent.

You'd probably want a trutrack diff while it's all out as well.

It all adds up...

Oh, and axles are closer to $5k

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d

Oh really? I guess the IMS diff hat labour could be worth a bit if you don't do any of it by yourself.

Really? That seems a lot for axles. Who are you going through?

Haha yeah once you start replacing things like the diff - then you're wondering how deep does the rabbit hole go!!

• Donating Members

Driveshaft shop in the US make the best axles and driveshafts, IMO. They have the market and thoughput to invest in manufacturing equipment that nobody in Australia can justify. There is only one Australian reseller that I'm aware of.

You can maybe get away with $4k for the 1000hp shafts, but then labour on top

• Member For: 3y 1m 3d

To the OP in my honest opinion don't get to ahead of yourself and think to much about bulletproofing everything when you may not need to.... what power do you want/chasing? 

then we can advise what ya need :) 

these cars turn into money pits very very quickly it's super easy to sink 50k into one of these cars and still Not be happy with the end result,,

If it's gonna be your daily drive dont

chuck to large a frame turbo on It youl regret it 

Edited by TRYME
  • Like 1