The Barra is meant to be reliable. I want power AND reliability. How can I get the best of both worlds?

FGeorge

• Member For: 2y 9m 26d

I'm starting to think that mid 300s would suit me for what I want it for, perhaps with the precautions you'd take on a higher powered set up so that the car doesn't start falling apart.

I'd like to keep it for years and hundreds of thousands of kms without too much going wrong outside of normal maintenance given driving style

Thoughts?

• Member For: 3y 1m 3d

Yea good idea my 2c are as follows if it was my car this is what I would do "if wanting to bulletproof the car as best I could" in reality it can be done with a lot less $$$ and some do it with more $$$  but for me this is a real solid build list: 

*4 inch dump & high flow cat 

*fuel system

*intercooler- don't cheap out here get a good one 

*turbo side intake 

*Valve springs- you may not need em at mid 3s but they'll eventually go soft anyway

* upgrade standard brakes with better pads and rotors if on budget, if happy to spend put a set of FPV brembos on the car makes a big difference (standard turbo brakes suck)

(brembos won't fit most factory Ford wheels)  

* good suspension-- shockworks coilovers 

* Oil pump gears 

* external oil cooler for ZF or the PWR unit to prevent ZF milkshake 

* true trac diff 

* IMS diff hat

* Tail shaft- so I can launch it and not worry 

* make sure rear end is up to scratch with new bushes and everything all tidy so it drives nicely ( a worn out rear end on these cars makes them feel like a bomb) 

* good set of tyres

* service it often

* seeing as though your in Bankstown go see Joe at CMS for your tune he's only at Prestons or go to Spiro at Autotech in Granville both are very good tuners. In my experience Joes prices are a fair bit better.

On factory turbo youl do around 310-320rwkw on 98 and somewhere around 340-350rwkw on e85 depending on dyno who tunes it etc-- at this power level factory turbo is a good option spools nicely and you save money not having to purchase a new turbo ( genuine garrets are so much more expensive now it's a joke) 

Factory ZF mite be ok at that power level for a long long time but may eventually need a rebuild keep it in mind, people have broken input shafts with that power but then again some people have been totally fine. Building a strengthened ZF cost is 7-10k depending on spec who does it etc,, just something to keep in mind....

Now you can make that power for a lot cheaper then I've listed but if you went for the list I typed up your car would be a real nice street car and will feel awesome.. 

The other boys/girls will have a different opinion but this is my personal opinion....

Is your motor really high Kays? Or relatively low? 

Edited by TRYME
  • Like 1

Awesome response, so much work to do!

It's at just under 80k now. Does that change much?

I got it two months ago. The coolant kept blowing up after I drove up hills, not hard driving. Brakes would shudder too. Oil was leaking from the head. Have now had the following done:

Valve springs

head studs

machined head

Oil pump

Bushes

Reservoir tank changed

Full service (not including  transmission)

New larger exhaust valves (couldn't get new stock ex valves so went with a custom set that are a bit larger)

• Member For: 3y 1m 3d

Get your Transmission serviced and fit the cooler or PWR unit when you can....

oh awesome so fairly low Kays,, yea it does make a difference as your motor should handle mid 300s for a long long time.... if you had like 250,000 plus Kays I was gonna say a 300s tune should still be ok but it might not last another 100kays without a rebuild etc... 

is the oil pump with standard gears or upgraded? 

in regards to the brake shudder no surprise there like I said there junk for a performance car...

Edited by TRYME

yeah transmission service is high on my list. Will look into the cooler and PWR units too asap

That's good news, the reason I wanted a low km car really

It's the billet oil pump but not sure if it is the gears too - I'll know tonight whne I pick my car up finally

it ended up being that the brakes were fine but the bushes were farked - all replaced now