The Barra is meant to be reliable. I want power AND reliability. How can I get the best of both worlds?

FGeorge

• Member For: 2y 9m 27d

I didn't want to waste my first post on something that's become boring by how many times it's been asked. I think I've got a good question for everyone here.

I want to know how we can build an xr6t to have true reliability and power.

1. No budget constraints but cost is important; same quality and benefits for less money is preferable

3. Goal is to have a certain power level (say at 300,350,400 rwkw)

4. Goal is to trust that you won't be breaking your next weakest link any time soon

4.a. Be conservative, I'd rather play it safe and over-engineer it than have a "she'll be right" attitude. Aim for bulletproof.

5. Car is an FG1 xr6t

So for example:

at 300rwkw, you need xyz valve springs and oil pump, transmission cooler upgrade, etc

at 400rwkw you should also have bla bla bla done

Bonus question, what's your preferred power level and set-up for daily driving?

• Member For: 3y 1m 4d

My power level for daily driving is 400rwkw which atm is my lowest state of tune and tbh if I'm being realistic even that's to much/plenty can rarely use it now in these damn nanny states..... but one thing I'd like to mention Barra is awesome engine we all know that, ZF with some money added into it is awesome for good power but tbh the falcons drivelines suck back past the transmission, anything above 350 rwkw and you gotta invest coin into improving it so you can still enjoy the car IMS diff hat is a must in any modded falcon! Such a big difference 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

@TRYME agreed.

@FGeorge The barra conforms to the standard rules of the universe regarding the relationship between reliability, power/speed, and cost.

The sweet spot is 350-400rwkw from a value for money perspective, but even then, you should do driveline and proper fuel system, as well as the standard mods required to get you to that power.

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d

I would say the sweet spot is 300/350rwkw with 98/E85.
Any more than this and you start to need things like a bigger turbo (unless you're running one of the larger BA/F6 3582's? Is that the right number?), possibly a bigger downpipe/dump and cat back system.

300/350rwkw (98/E85) really only requires:

In tank fuel pump

Injectors

Intercooler

High flow cat

Valve springs

Tune