Struggle to turn engine over by hand

TurbskiBarra

• Member For: 2y 10m 30d

Looking to see if I could pick someone's head on this, have put in Crow valve springs, and just setting up atomic timing kit. Iv come to do timing, cylinder one is at tdc cams are 12 o clock and all timing marks line up perfectly, after fitting it all and trying to turn over by hand turns slightly but then seems very hard, and won't turn, would this be down to stronger springs? Don't want to push it to hard. Tia ๐Ÿ˜

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

Haha yeah well if it's locking up with the plugs out then you've got a problem. It should turn over fairly easily. I don't spose you've got a manual and left it in gear by any chance?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I mean fairly easy is subjective right?! I use a cheap ass torque wrench and 22mm socket on the balancer bolt to turn mine over and you still need a bit of effort.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I can't really remember cos it's been a while since I did mine. I was turning my cam with an allen key in the cam gear bolt the other day and I had to smack it fairly hard to get it to move, if that's any indication.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 2y 10m 30d
On 25/05/2021 at 11:01 PM, Puffwagon said:

I can't really remember cos it's been a while since I did mine. I was turning my cam with an allen key in the cam gear bolt the other day and I had to smack it fairly hard to get it to move, if that's any indication.

Hey mate bit of topic now and old, know if engine light should stay on when cranking her over, got spark, and can smell fuel through exhaust but won't start๐Ÿ˜…